Hazard (DC Comics)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First appearance||Infinity Inc. #34|
|Created by||Roy Thomas|
|Alter ego||Rebecca "Becky" Sharpe|
|Team affiliations||Injustice Society|
|Abilities||Psionic powers that can alter probability as she wishes.|
Fictional character biography
During the anti-hero mania that was sweeping the US (during the Legends mini-series, 1986), Miss Rebecca Sharpe took the opportunity to avenge the death of her grandfather, Steven Sharpe III alias the Gambler. Rebecca took the name Hazard and joined with Wizard in his new Injustice Society – which he called Injustice Unlimited. However, she refused to allow anyone to be killed, nor would she cause anyone's death in the process. They overcame the security at the International Trade Conference in Calgary—namely Infinity, Inc. and a contingent of the Global Guardians—and forced the heroes to help in some mayhem. Hazard took Wildcat and the Tasmanian Devil to Las Vegas and, with their help, financially ruined Mr. Taj, proprietor of the Taj Mahal Casino - it had been the crooked games of the casino which were in part to blame for her grandfather's suicide. They all returned to Calgary to share in the stolen wealth which the Wizard had been gathering but the plan went haywire when Hourman (Rick Tyler) revived and freed himself, as well as when Solomon Grundy was brought in from the Arctic Circle. It was Solomon who incapacitated Hazard, but in the confusion she was able to escape.
Only weeks later, Hazard joined again with the villains Icicle and Artemis, along with the Harlequin (Marcie Cooper). Harlequin brought in the Dummy and a duped Solomon Grundy. Under the leadership of the Dummy, their first goal was to murder the members of Infinity, Inc. so that the world and the criminal underworld would know and fear Injustice Unlimited. Though Hazard had previously voiced an unwillingness to take life, she consented to the murder of the super-powered Infinitors. The first target was Skyman, and he was successfully murdered by Harlequin. Within days Hazard joined with Harlequin and the Dummy to murder Pat Dugan working at Stellar Studios (the Infinity, Inc. HQ) outside Los Angeles. When Pat's young son became a collateral target, however, Hazard used her powers of probability manipulation to help save their lives – the Dummy decided instead to use Dugan as bait for the rest of the Infinitors. When the other heroes arrived at their HQ and the battle was begun, Hazard feigned the loss of her dice and did not join in. Afterwards, when the villains were successfully defeated, Hazard voluntarily entered into custody for her role in the criminal events.
Powers and abilities
Hazard has psionic powers that she uses in conjunction with special dice to influence probability as she wishes. She can cause good luck or harmful "accidents" to befall someone. The origin of her powers, nature of her dice, and the relationship between them are unknown. In addition, she keeps herself in good physical condition but has no known training in hand-to-hand combat.
- Steven Sharpe III is Rebecca's grandfather and was the original Gambler who vexed the original Justice Society in the late 1940s.
- Steven Sharpe V is Rebecca's cousin. He has taken over their grandfather's criminal mantle as the current Gambler.
In other media
- Hazard debuts in The Flash, portrayed by Sugar Lyn Beard. Her casino worker's uniform resembles the character's costume in the DC comics. A young woman plagued with bad luck, Rebecca "Becky" Sharpe is present during Barry Allen's return from the Speed Force that affected her and others on a bus with dark matter, giving her the power to emit a field that alters local probability, bringing her good luck while causing bad luck to everyone else within the field. In the episode "Luck Be a Lady", she is able to rob a bank by walking in and taking the money while mishaps befall the Flash and anyone who tries to approach her. Dubbed "Hazard" by Vibe, Hazard sees this new power and its effects on those around her as retribution for her previous suffering. As she continues to benefit from her new power, the field expands and threatens to engulf all of Central City. After a burst of energy from the destabilized S.T.A.R Labs particle accelerator negates her power temporarily, the Flash is able to capture Hazard, and is remanded to Iron Heights Penitentiary. Hazard is featured again in the episode "True Colors", in which Barry befriends her after being imprisoned for murder. She confesses she means no harm to anyone and is scared of what her powers can do, and Barry inspires her to use her powers for good. When they find out that Warden Wolfe plans on selling them to Blacksmith, they attempt to break out, but they are cornered by Wolfe, who exposes Barry as the Flash. Out of range of the prison's metahuman inhibitors, Sharpe still decides to help Barry despite learning of his identity, knocking out Wolfe and the other metahumans, although she accidentally kills Blacksmith's guards when knocking out Blacksmith. Suddenly, the Thinker appears and uses an energy blast to disable the metahumans' powers. Using the power he stole from Brainstorm, Thinker transfers his mind into Becky's body as well as the powers of Kilg%re, Dwarfstar, and Black Bison. Barry runs towards her in an attempt to save her. With his powers disabled while running at the pace of a normal human and can only watch as Becky helplessly cries for help before Thinker successfully takes over her body.  The Thinker then discovers that Becky's body is weakening, possibly due to the strain of absorbing multiple powers at once and he quickly abandons it, transferring his consciousness into the body of Fiddler.
- Infinity Inc #35-37 (1987)
- Infinity Inc #51-53 (1988)
- Wonder Woman Vol. 2 #175
- "The Flash' Casts Sugar Lyn Beard as Hazard (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. August 9, 2017. Retrieved August 9, 2017.