Hazelwood School District
|Hazelwood School District|
|North St. Louis County, Missouri
|Type||Public School District|
|Motto||"High Expectations for All!"|
|Grades||K through 12|
|Superintendent||Dr. Nettie Collins-Hart |
|Budget||$218,126,371 (2010) |
|Students and staff|
|Students||19,297 (2006-07) |
|Staff||1,392 (2006-07) |
|Athletic conference||Suburban North|
|Vision Statement||HSD will foster lifelong learners, productive citizens and responsible leaders for an ever-evolving society. |
|Mission Statement||We are a collaborative learning community guided by a relentless focus to ensure each student achieves maximum growth. |
Hazelwood School District is a school district covering a large portion of north St. Louis County, Missouri, including (portions of) the cities of Florissant, Hazelwood, Black Jack, Spanish Lake, Ferguson, Bellefontaine Neighbors, and Bridgeton.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2016)|
The Hazelwood School district was involved in Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, a 1988 landmark Supreme Court case which ruled that public school curricular student newspapers that have not been established as forums for student expression are subject to a lower level of First Amendment protection than independent student expression or newspapers established (by policy or practice) as forums for student expression.
In 2016 Hazelwood School District School Board announced a plan to save the district $6.6 million. Included in the plan was staff cuts to the elementary band and orchestra classes, reduced physical education classes for elementary students, and field trip funding will be eliminated. District officials said a 22 percent drop in assessed property values led to the cuts.
The district contains 20 elementary schools, 6 middle schools, and 3 high schools.
- Elementary Schools
- Cold Water
- Middle Schools
- Hazelwood Northwest Middle School
- Hazelwood West Middle School
- Hazelwood East Middle School
- Hazelwood Southeast Middle School
- Hazelwood North Middle School
- Hazelwood Central Middle School
- High Schools
- "District Administration". Hazelwood School District. Retrieved 2016-08-31.
- "Finance Report 2006-2010". MODESE Annual Report of School Data. Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. 2007-12-02. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- "Hazelwood". 2007 - 2008 Missouri School Directory. Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. 2008-05-27. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "About The District". Hazelwood School District. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- Hazelwood School District, et al. v. Kuhlmeier, et al., 484 U.S. 260 (Supreme Court of the United States 13 January 1988).
- Bock, Jessica (Feb 17, 2016). "Overflow crowd turns out to challenge Hazelwood school cuts". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- Sells, George (Feb 9, 2016). "Hazelwood School District looking at massive budget cuts". Fox 2 now St. Louis. Retrieved 14 September 2016.