Hazle Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
|Hazle Township, Pennsylvania|
Dreck Creek Reservoir in Hazle Township
Map of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania Highlighting Hazle Township
Map of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||45.3 sq mi (117.4 km2)|
|• Land||45.1 sq mi (116.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|• Density||210/sq mi (81/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 45.3 square miles (117.4 km2), of which 45.1 square miles (116.7 km2) is land and 0.27 square miles (0.7 km2), or 0.59%, is water. It is drained by tributaries of the Susquehanna River except in the southeast, which drains to the Lehigh River. Its villages include Beaver Brook, Drifton, Ebervale, Green Ridge, Harleigh, Harwood, Hollywood, Humboldt, Japan, Jeanesville, Lattimer, Milnesville, Oakdale, Pardeesville, and Stockton. The postal zip code is 18202.
- Black Creek Township (west)
- Sugarloaf Township (north)
- West Hazleton (surrounds)
- Hazleton (surrounds)
- Butler Township (north)
- Foster Township (east)
- Jeddo (east)
- Banks Township, Carbon County (south)
- Kline Township, Schuylkill County (south)
- East Union Township, Schuylkill County (southwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,000 people, 3,775 households, and 2,536 families residing in the township. The population density was 200.3 people per square mile (77.4/km2). There were 4,002 housing units at an average density of 89.1/sq mi (34.4/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 98.67% White, 0.17% African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 0.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.02% of the population.
There were 3,775 households, out of which 25.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.2% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.8% were non-families. 29.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the township the population is fairly spread out, with 19.4% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 26.3% from 45 to 64, and 23.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $34,352, and the median income for a family was $44,028. Males had a median income of $32,993 versus $22,926 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,139. About 9.3% of families and 11.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.1% of those under age 18 and 12.6% of those age 65 or over.
Hazle Township elects three supervisors at-large.
- William Gallagher, Chairman
- Francis Boyarski, Secretary/Treasurer
- Andy Benyo
- State Representative Tarah Toohil, Republican, 116th district
- State Senator John Yudichak, Democrat, 14th district
- US Representative Lou Barletta, Republican, 11th district
Jack Palance (born Volodymyr Palahnyuk) (1919–2006), the acclaimed film actor, was born in Lattimer.
- Hazleton Area High School
- Maple Manor Elementary / Middle School
- Hazleton Area Career Center
- Hazle Township Early Learning Center
- Penn State University Hazleton Campus located however inside Hazle Township boundaries
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Hazle township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Locate Us." Hazleton Area School District. Retrieved on July 18, 2016.