He Depu was tried in a two-hour hearing on 14 October 2002 for his links to the outlawed China Democracy Party, of which he is a member, and for posting essays on the Internet that "incited subversion."
In 2008, he is still in prison and his health is deteriorating in Beijing No. 2 Prison. He suffers from high blood pressure and does not receive appropriate treatment. In August 2008 he sent a letter to International Olympic Committee head Jacques Rogge, decrying the conditions in Chinese prisons, which he claims to have worsened.
- "Reporters Without Borders concerned about health of cyberdissident He Depu". Reporters sans frontiers. 2 March 2004.
- "Cyberdissident Ouyang Yi released at the end of his sentence". Reporters sans frontiers. 7 December 2004.
- "Call for clemency for dissident He Depu". Reporters sans frontiers. 15 October 2003.
- "Cyber-dissident He Depu begins third year in prison". Reporters sans frontiers. 4 November 2004.
- HRIC Case Update: Health at Risk for Jailed Democracy Activist He Depu, Human Rights in China