He Is Legend
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2008)|
|He Is Legend|
He Is Legend playing in Wilmington, NC, on Dec. 29, 2010
|Origin||Wilmington, North Carolina, United States|
|Genres||Hard rock, alternative metal, alternative rock, stoner rock, psychedelic rock, sludge, southern rock, southern metal (early), metalcore (early)|
|Years active||2003–2009, 2010–present|
|Labels||Tribunal, LAB, Solid State, Future Tense!, Century Media, Tragic Hero, El Shaddai|
|Past members||McKenzie Bell
He Is Legend is a rock band that was formed in Wilmington, North Carolina who signed to Tragic Hero Records in 2009. The band consists of vocalist front man Schuylar Croom, guitarists Adam Tanbouz and Denis Desloge, drummer Sam Huff, bassist Matt Williams.
Formation & beginnings
The band's roots reach back into the late 1990s when Adam Tanbouz, Steven Bache, Matt Williams, guitarist McKenzie Bell, and vocalist Schuylar Croom began writing and performing around Wilmington, NC while still in high school. In 2003, having previously played under the names of Stronghold, No One Wins, and The Uriah Omen, the name He Is Legend was adopted by members Tanbouz, Bache, Bell, Croom, and Williams. The name He Is Legend is an adaptation of the 1954 book I am Legend by Richard Matheson. After releasing their first EP in June 2004 entitled 91025, the band signed on with Solid State Records and released their first full length album in November, I Am Hollywood, which was followed by almost two years of extensive touring in the United States and Europe, the band temporarily relocated to California to record their next release. However, the release almost never saw the light of day as the group would almost break up right after they had finished recording. Suck Out the Poison was released on October 3, 2006.
Departure of McKenzie Bell, Mitchell Marlow, and Worth Weaver
Soon after the release of Suck Out the Poison, guitarist McKenzie Bell left the band. He was replaced by guitarist Mitch Marlow (previously of Classic Case). During their tour with Chimaira, Dragonforce, and Killswitch Engage in spring of 2007, the first few weeks were played as a 4-piece without Marlow. During the Peanut Butt Tour '07, a different second guitarist, Worth Weaver, was seen playing in Marlow's spot. At their show at the School of Rock in New Jersey, Bache stated that Marlow had accidentally booked himself to produce a record for another band back in North Carolina. The dates of recording coincided with much of the tour, so he was not able to tour with the band. Worth stepped in and was, by the account of Bache, excellent in his performance. At their final show before beginning their tour in Australia, Marlow performed with the band, confirming that at the time he was still a member of He Is Legend.
The band's performances throughout the 2009 SXSW festival featured them as a four-piece once again. After a Plano, Texas performance on March 17, Tanbouz stated that Weaver, not performing with the band that evening, is planning on getting married soon and he would be focusing more on his solo musical career with his personal studio and music. Worth Weaver had begun standing in on the 2007 "Peanut Butt Tour" with the band.
It Hates You
According to a recent blog, He Is Legend announced that they will be taking a musical sabbatical in the forest surrounding North Carolina recording studio, Warrior Sound Studio. The blog continues, saying that the material written during this hiatus will be used to create a record "literally made of solid gold (figuratively speaking)."
On April 24, 2008, He Is Legend posted four demo songs from said sabbatical, entitled "Decisions Decisions Decisions", "Stranger Danger", "Don't Touch That Dial", and "Everyone I Know Has Fangs" from the upcoming record.
On April 16, 2009, the band confirmed that their newest album, It Hates You was being released through Tragic Hero records on July 21, 2009. (Originally set to be released on June 23). On May 27, 2009, the band posted "The Primarily Blues" and in early July "China White III", and "Future's Bright, Man" on their Myspace.
It Hates You was released on July 21, 2009 and produced by Mitchell Marlow and Allen Jacob at Warrior Sound in Chapel Hill, NC, with additional production by Kit Walters.
Hiatus and new projects
On September 2009, it was announced that He Is Legend is taking an "indefinite hiatus," although the band itself made no public announcement of their hiatus.
On October 16, 2011, it was announced that He Is Legend will be playing their first show since taking an indefinite hiatus in 2009. The show took place on October 31, 2011, at the Satellite Bar and Lounge in Wilmington, North Carolina. On December 22, 2011, frontman Schuylar Croom announced that there would be a new He Is Legend album released in 2012.
In January 2012 the band played two more shows in the North Carolina area, and in March, the band embarked on a 3-date tour of the east coast, playing in Baltimore, MD, Jermyn, PA, and New York City, NY. The band toured once more throughout November–December 2012, but no other news regarding the promised new album were announced.
Departure of Steve Bache, new member Sam Huff and New Album
On June 1, 2013, He Is Legend stated on their Facebook page, that Steve Bache had left the band, on good terms, after moving to a new city to pursue a higher education which would allow him a career in life. They compared finding a new drummer to "trying to find a kick ass drumming needle in a hay stack." Luckily, they came upon an acquaintance, Sam Huff, whom had previously played in a band with friends of theirs. He Is Legend stated that "within 15 minutes of rehearsing one of our newer ideas with Sam we realized that he was the perfect person for the position."
On July 14, 2013, the band announced 6 new tour dates, and stated it will be the band's last tour before entering the studio to record their fourth album.
On August 27, 2013, it was announced that He Is Legend have officially began working on their fourth studio album, with producer Mitch Marlow (Filter, A Skylit Drive), who is also the band's former rhythm guitarist. In September, the band announced a full US tour for October–November 2013, while taking a break from recording the album.
On January 29, 2014, the band announced new material via Twitter with the following statement, "Dudes and dude babes, we will be premiering our first song from our new album on Friday. Spread the word." The band's new single, "Something Witchy", premiered on February 2, 2014, on YouTube.
On February 19, 2014, the band announced on their official Facebook page that they had finished recording their new album. Though no release date was announced, it will be released through Tragic Hero Records.
On June 10, 2014, the band announced on their official Facebook page that they will be touring North America with Maylene and the Sons of Disaster and Wilson. The band also announced August 23, 2014 as the release party for their new album at Ziggy's By The Sea in Wilmington, NC.
On June 17, 2014, He Is Legend announced on their official Facebook page that their new album, entitled Heavy Fruit, will be released August 19, 2014. They also premiered a new single, "Miserable Company."
- Current members
- Schuylar Croom – lead vocals (2003–2009, 2010–present)
- Adam Tanbouz – lead guitar (2003–2009, 2010–present)
- Matty Williams – bass (2003–2009, 2010–present)
- Sam Huff – drums, percussion (2013–present)
- Denis Desloge – rhythm guitar, live backing vocals (2014–present)
- Former members
- Steven Bache – drums, percussion (2003–2009, 2010–2013)
- McKenzie Bell – rhythm guitar, live backing vocals (2003–2006)
- Joshua Snow – rhythm guitar (live only)(2013–2014)
- Worth Weaver – rhythm guitar (live only)(2007–2009, 2010–2013)
- Mitchell Marlow – rhythm guitar (live only)(2006–2007)
- Studio albums
- 2004: I Am Hollywood
- 2006: Suck Out the Poison U.S. No. 158
- 2009: It Hates You U.S. No. 126
- 2014: Heavy Fruit U.S. No. 148
- 2006: The Song Lives On: A Tribute to Third Eye Blind
- contributes "Wounded" (Third Eye Blind cover)
- Music videos
- 2004: "The Seduction"
- 2006: "Attack of the Dungeon Witch"
- , Official He is Legend web site
- "He Is Legend on hiatus". Lambgoat. Retrieved September 27, 2009.
- "A Message from Dallas. - MySpace-blog | van Maylene and the Sons of Disaster III - OUT NOW!". Blogs.myspace.com. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "He Is Legend announces show; recording album?". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend to release new album". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend tour dates". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend tour dates". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend announces East Coast shows". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend begins recording new album". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend announces U.S. tour". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend finishes recording new album". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend - Timeline Photos - Facebook". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "He Is Legend announce new album, debut new song". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Billboard, Allmusic
- "He Is Legend - Chart history". Billboard.com. Billboard.
- "He Is Legend — The Song Lives On: A Tribute to Third Eye Blind - CD". Heislegend.bigcartel.com. 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2010-05-30.