Head On (1998 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ana Kokkinos|
|Produced by||Jane Scott|
|Screenplay by||Ana Kokkinos|
|Edited by||Jill Bilcock|
Head On is a 1998 Australian drama film directed by Ana Kokkinos. Based on the novel Loaded written by Christos Tsiolkas, it stars Alex Dimitriades as a young, repressed gay man of Greek descent living in inner city Melbourne. The film gained notoriety upon its release for its sexual explicitness, including a graphic masturbation scene performed by Dimitriades and numerous sex scenes. The film received mixed-to-positive reviews from critics, with positive reviewers praising its stark realism, the lead performance by Dimitriades and the uncompromising subject matter.
Over a 24-hour period, 19 year old Ari confronts his sexuality and his Greek background. Ari is obsessed with sex and has sexual encounters with multiple people, most of them gay, and attempts to fulfill one of his best friend's sister. At the same time, he's facing problems with his traditional Greek parents, who have no clue about his sexual and drug taking activities.
- Alex Dimitriades as Ari
- Paul Capsis as Johnny/Tula
- Julian Garner as Sean
- Tony Nikolakopoulos as Dimitri
- Elena Mandalis as Betty
- Damien Fotiou as Joe
- Eugenia Fragos as Sophia
- María Mercedes as Tasia
- Alex Papps as Peter
- Dora Kaskanis as Dina
- Vassili Zappa as Vassili
- Andrea Mandalis as Alex
Head On divided the Greek community in Australia Kokkinos said in an interview with the LA Times. Kokkinos said "what it did is that it opened up a dialogue between younger Greeks and their parents. What the film has done is that it has broken down barriers."
Awards and nominations
- Best Actor (Alex Dimitriades, nominated)
- Best Costume Design (nominated)
- Best Direction (Ana Kokkinos, nominated)
- Best Editing (won)
- Best Film (nominated)
- Best Original Score (Ollie Olsen, nominated)
- Best Screenplay - Adapted (Andrew Bovell, Ana Kokkinos and Mira Robertson, nominated)
- Best Sound (nominated)
- Best Supporting Actor (Paul Capsis, nominated)
- Grand Jury Award: Outstanding Foreign Narrative Feature (Ana Kokkinos, won)
- Best First Feature (Ana Kokkinos, won)
- "Head On - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- THOMAS, KEVIN (1999-09-02). "MOVIES : Collision With Life : Director looks at what it means to be Greek and Australian, gay and conflicted". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- Head On on IMDb
- Head On at AllMovie
- Head On at Box Office Mojo
- Head On at Rotten Tomatoes
- Head On at the National Film and Sound Archive
- "Surprising Results at Awards" by Joshua Smith.
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a drama film with a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender theme is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|