|Headquarters||Arlington, Virginia, United States|
|Christopher M. Schroeder, CEO|
HealthCentral is an American privately owned online health company, that was founded by an emergency room doctor in 1999. HealthCentral was later acquired by a group of venture investors in 2005. Initial investments were made from Polaris Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital, The Carlyle Group, and Allen & Company. In 2005, the group of new investors then brought on Christopher M. Schroeder as CEO. In 2008, InterActiveCorp made a significant minority investment in the company, and the initial group of investors joined in the round of funding to reinvest in HealthCentral.
HealthCentral's mission statement is "empower people to improve and take control of their health and well-being." The company owns 35 health sites focused on specific conditions.
In 2006, HealthCentral acquired FoodFit.com, an online wellness resource focused on healthy eating and active living. In 2008, HealthCentral acquired consumer drug information company MedTrackAlert and HIV/AIDS website The Body.com. The company acquired health technology company Wellsphere.com in 2009.
- "Health 2.0: Patients on Social Networks: The HealthCentral Network - BusinessWeek". Images.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
-  Archived January 6, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Early Stage Venture Capital : Sequoia Capital : US". Sequoiacap.com. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
-  Archived July 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Keen, Andrew (2010-04-19). "Chris Schroeder on Politics, Media and Technology in the Digital Age - Andrew Keen - Harvard Business Review". Blogs.hbr.org. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
-  Archived January 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "About HealthCentral — Leadership, Recent News, Careers and Contact". Healthcentral.com. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "The HealthCentral Network Purchases FoodFit.com, a Leading Online Healthy Lifestyle Destination". Nutrition Horizon. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "HealthCentral Network Buys Consumer Health Info Service MedTrackAlert — paidContent". Paidcontent.org. 2008-06-10. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "HealthCentral Network Acquires HIV Resources Site TheBody.com — paidContent". Paidcontent.org. 2008-09-04. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Online Health Consolidation Continues: HealthCentral Buys Wellsphere". TechCrunch. 2009-01-27. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
|This article about a medical, pharmaceutical or biotechnological corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|