This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|A component of iOS|
Health app running on an iPhone 6
|Type||Health informatics, physical fitness|
|Included with||iOS 8 and later|
Health (or HealthKit) is the health informatics mobile app announced by Apple Inc. at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in 2014. The app is included with iOS 8 or later. HealthKit is the accompanying developer application programming interface (API) included in the iOS SDK (Software Development Kit) for the Mac. It is used by software developers to design applications that have extensibility and that can interact with the health application on iOS.
After the release of iOS 8 in September 2014, Apple removed all HealthKit-compatible apps from its App Store to fix a bug causing cellular and Touch ID issues, and then re-released Healthkit, with the release of iOS 8.0.2, on September 26, 2014. Initially, Health was criticized for its lack of compatible third-party applications (at launch), glucose tracking, proper health data explanations, and sluggish app performance. Eventually, Apple fixed these issues with a software update.
As of February 2017, several manufacturers other than Apple sold hardware that was HealthKit enabled.
- Williams, Rhiannon (6 February 2015). "What is Apple's HealthKit?".
- Mike Beasley (September 26, 2014). "Apple releases iOS 8.0.2 to address cellular and Touch ID issues in previous update". 9to5Mac. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Hall, Zac (September 17, 2014). "Apple seemingly removing HealthKit compatible iOS 8 apps from App Store due to issues". 9to5Mac.
- Hall, Zac (December 18, 2014). "iOS 8.2 brings back blood glucose tracking, explains Health data". 9to5Mac.
- Viticci, Federico (March 16, 2015). "iOS 8.2 and Health Follow-Up". MacStories.
- "List of Healthkit Compatible Devices". iSmartLiving.net. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- Kate Anne (July 6, 2016). "Apple Health app update: register to be an organ donor". topmobiletrends.com. Retrieved July 22, 2016.