|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California|
|Key people||Ron Gutman (CEO), Sastry Nanduri (CTO), Geoffrey Rutledge (CMIO), Sean Mehra (Head of Product), Michael Nichols (General Counsel)|
|Industry||Interactive Health and Technology|
HealthTap is an interactive health company founded by Stanford Graduate School of Business alum Ron Gutman in 2010 to reinvent worldwide the way people take care of their health and well-being. The HealthTap app, both for patients and for doctors, is available across a range of platforms and devices. There are versions for the web and applications for iPhone, iPad, and Android, including wearable smartwatches.
Press and Expansion
HealthTap has garnered media coverage in publications including The New York Times, Forbes, TIME., San Francisco Chronicle, TechCrunch, CNBC, Wired, Fast Company, Inc. (magazine), and PC Magazine. The launch of the consultation app Zwivel has been compared to HealthTap.
Commenting on HealthTap in early 2012, Peter W. Carmel, president of the American Medical Association, said the Internet should “complement, not replace, the communication between a patient and their physician.” With online health advice, the doctor doesn't take a history, doesn't do a physical exam, and doesn't monitor or assess any suggested treatment. "Using this information in isolation could pose a threat to patients,” he said.
- Rebecca Jarvis, , Good Morning America, August 6, 2014
- Regina Sinsky, "HealthTap's Social Network of 5,000 Doctors Is Ready to Give Free Advice", The New York Times, September 26, 2011
- Tomio Geron "HealthTap Q&A Site Connects Doctors and Patients" Forbes, December 06, 2011
- Bonnie Rochman "A New Health Site in Beta Testing for Pregnant Women, New Moms"
- <"10,000 Physicians Strong and Growing" bizjournals.com, February 12, 2012
- SF Chronicle, , "Startup RateRx creates tool that lets doctors review medications", March 12, 2015
- TechCrunch, , "HealthTap Launches RateRx, A Doctor Recommendation System For Drug Treatments", March 11, 2015
- CNBC, , "Can Amazon-like reviews work for prescriptions?", March 11, 2015
- Wired, , "Doctors on This Site Rate Drugs to Give Patients More Power", March 11, 2015
- Fast Company, , "Now You Can See What Actual Doctors Think About The Medication You Take", March 11, 2015
- Inc., , "The Startups Saving Health Care", February 2014
- PC Magazine, , "Know Your Telehealth Options: An Interview With HealthTap's Ron Gutman", January 5, 2015
- Advice for the Ill, and Points for the Doctors, By RANDALL STROSS, New York Times, February 4, 2012
- HealthTap main page: https://www.healthtap.com/