Health food restaurant
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The examples and perspective in this section may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a summary timeline of important events in the development of the health food restaurant.
- 1906 – The health food obsession began by introducing "Alcohol Free Restaurants" and by promoting unprocessed foods.
- 1912 – Ganda Chagan Kapitan opened GC Kapitan, one of the first vegetarian restaurants[where?].
- 1927 – Due to William Childs' concerns about health, the Childs Restaurants began serving only vegetarian food, known as the Child's Unique Dairy Lunch. However, this meatless menu led to a severe loss of business, and the policy was soon revised.
- 1930 – Fresh yeast was found to be beneficial for certain ailments: skin blemishes, headaches, and colds.
- 1943 – By the middle of World War II in Toronto, the public was complaining that conditions in restaurants had deteriorated significantly. In September 1943, The board of health, the Food Control Director, and six restaurant inspectors, decided to meet and to implement improvements in sanitation, and to mandate a semi-annual health inspection and certificate for food handlers.
- 1965 – Subway was founded by Fred DeLuca and Peter Buck. Subway offered submarine sandwiches and salads as healthy alternatives to fast food restaurants, with franchises throughout the United States and in other countries.
- 1970s – Good Earth, a health food restaurant franchise based in California, was founded, then eventually purchased by General Mills in 1980.
- 1999 – Restaurant Nora became America's first certified organic restaurant, which meant that 95% or more of everything that you ate there had been produced by certified organic growers and farmers who share Nora's commitment to sustainable agriculture.
- 2011 – KFC's parent company, Yum Brands Inc., committed to placing calorie counts on menu boards at corporate-owned restaurants nationwide[where?] by January 1, 2011. A new US federal law eventually will require all chain restaurants to do this.
- Heather Anne MacDougall (1990). Activists and advocates: Toronto's health department, 1883–1983. Dundurn Press Ltd. pp. 107–. ISBN 978-1-55002-072-4. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- Knowing The Best Franchise Businesses. Uber Articles (2010-05-21). Retrieved on 2011-04-05.
- "Search Results". Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Lakeland Ledger - Google News Archive Search". Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- AKST, DANIEL (11 March 1986). "Brothers Plan Growth for Good Earth Chain". Retrieved 12 April 2017 – via LA Times.
- "Daytona Beach Morning Journal - Google News Archive Search". Retrieved 12 April 2017.
|Look up vegetarian in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Health food restaurant|