This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Health marketing is an approach to public health promotion that applies traditional marketing principles and theories alongside science-based strategies to protect and promote the health of diverse populations. It involves creating, communicating, and delivering messages for the public on prevention, health promotion and health protection. Health marketing is one of the ways advancements in medicine and in health-protecting services, such as insurance, are made widely known.
The marketing strategy would follow the traditional "4Ps" of marketing, namely:
- The "product" in question in this case the surgical procedure.
- The "place" which refers to the access to this procedure.
- "Promotion" refers to creating awareness and hence demand.
- "Price" refers to the cost of the procedure e.g. money, time, reputation etc.
"Health marketing" is a term rarely used in public healthcare and related disciplines. "Social marketing" or "integrated marketing communication" are more commonly used in public health and other disciplines to refer to marketing-based planning frameworks for public health communication.
Medical marketing in the private sector
Health marketing or Medical Marketing is a specialized branch of marketing. Medical marketing was born from the necessity for private health professionals to attract new patients, the characteristics of the health market makes it a unique kind of marketing. Medical marketing is usually a business to consumer (B2C) services. The primary customers for these medical marketing companies are Generation Z. About 85% of Gen Zers said they are open to alternative healthcare options like telemedicine, dispatch services and membership-based services. Marketers and medobal healthcare provides offline/online medical services for healthcare seekers. Healthcare professionals using this type of marketing usually offer beauty related services, such as aesthetic medicine, plastic surgery, dental surgery or dermatology and much more.
In many countries it is forbidden to pay for advertising of medical procedures, specially in aesthetics and plastic surgery. Showing "before and after" pictures or making references to someone’s body type can be seen as harmful for society.
The solution for a health care professional or a medical marketing agency is Instagram marketing since nowadays it remains unregulated, being one of the fastest growing social media, gives doctors an opportunity to acquire new patients through Instagram Marketing.
- "What is Health Marketing? | Gateway to Health Communication | CDC". www.cdc.gov. 2017-02-23. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- Bernhardt, Jay (2006). "Improving Health Through Health Marketing". Preventing Chronic Disease. 3 (3). www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. pp. A73. PMC 1636721. PMID 16776874.
- Ghanadan, Hamid (2019). "Three Things Health Marketers Need To Understand About Gen Z". forbes.com. Retrieved 12 December 2019.