Healthcare-NOW! is a non-profit grassroots coalition in support of the single-payer health care movement for the United States. Healthcare-NOW!'s stated goal is to implement the United States National Health Care Act (HR 676, aka Expanded and Improved Medicare for All).
Healthcare-NOW! was founded in 2004, originally under the name of the Campaign for a National Health Program NOW (CNHP NOW). The first meeting of the coalition was the Campaign for a National Health Program NOW Conference: "Health Care Crisis and Election of 2004." On August 31 and September 1, 2004, the conference was held as well as a rally during the Republican Convention.
Healthcare-NOW! uses various community organizing methods. Strategies and ideas are developed through annual national strategy meetings with volunteer organizers and health care activists around the country, including Rep. John Conyers. In 2007, Healthcare-NOW launched traveling Road Shows promoting single payer reform, as well as co-sponsored an Annual Health Care Justice Vigil held each September in Washington D.C. Other techniques include Sicko House Parties and Truth Hearings. On June 19, 2008, Healthcare-NOW! joined efforts with other organizations, including the California Nurses Association, to initiate the National Day of Protest Against Health Insurance Companies. This National Day of Protest took place in 18 cities nationwide in support of a single payer system. It was a campaign mainly about public health care not private.
Healthcare-NOW is composed of 36 board members, in addition to the board of directors. The National Coordinator was Marilyn Clement.
Board Member co-chairs
- Dr Quentin Young, National Coordinator, Physicians for a National Health Program
- Leo Gerard, President, United Steelworkers Union
- Jim Winkler, General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society, United Methodist Church
- Rose Ann DeMoro, Executive Director of the California Nurses Association
- Health care reform in the United States
- List of healthcare reform advocacy groups in the United States
- Medicare (United States)
- Single-payer health care
- United States National Health Care Act
- Universal health care
Notes and references
- Katrina vanden Heuvel (2007-12-03). "Hillary, Obama and Healthcare". The Nation.
- Miles Mogulescu (2008-07-09). "Why Not Single Payer? Part 6: New "Health Care For America Now" Coalition May Reflect Divisions in the Movement for Universal Healthcare". The Huffington Post.
- "MichaelMoore.com : SiCKO : Links and Resources". Archived from the original on 2008-07-02. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- About : Healthcare-NOW!
- Rochelle Robinson. "WEAP and the Campaign for a National Health Program" (PDF). Women's Economic Agenda Project (weap.org).
- "Michal Moore Comes To CUNY". The Knight News (student newspaper of Queens College, City University of New York). 2004-05-19.[permanent dead link]
- Marilyn Clement (with Healthcare-NOW!) (2006-11-16). "A Strategy For Seeking A National Single-Payer Healthcare System That Will Cover Everyone In The United States". The Black Commentator.
- "Tracy Pierce Memorial Candlelight Vigil - September 28th, 2007". michaelmoore.com. 2007-09-29. Archived from the original on 2008-06-15.
- "Free 'SiCKO' Screening at 'Bama-Huntsville". michaelmoore.com. 2007-11-19. Archived from the original on 2008-04-03.
- Marilyn Clement (with Healthcare-NOW!) (2006-11-15). "A Strategy for Healthcare-NOW". Progressive Democrats of America.[permanent dead link]
- "Steelworkers continue to lead the fight for "HealthCare-NOW!"". United Steelworkers. Archived from the original on 2008-06-29.
- Todd Neale (2008-06-20). "Nationwide Protests Support a Single-Payer Healthcare Plan". MedPage Today.
- "Board Of Directors and Board Members". Healthcare-NOW!.