Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
President & CEO
|Harold F. Wolf III|
The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) is an American not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving health care in quality, safety, cost-effectiveness, and access through the best use of information technology and management systems. It was founded in 1961 as the Hospital Management Systems Society. It is now headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. The society has more than 68,000 individual members, over 600 corporate members, and more than 400 not-for-profit organizations (as of March 2018). HIMSS is a US 501(c)6 organization.
HIMSS was organized in 1961 as the Hospital Management Systems Society (HMSS), an independent, unincorporated, nonprofit association of individuals. The society was co-founded by Edward J. Gerner and Harold E. Smalley. In late 1961, the constitution of the HIMSS was drafted and approved, and in 1962, the first national convention was held in Baltimore. In 1963, the second national HIMSS convention was held in Chicago, and the following year the HIMSS national headquarters were moved there. In 1967, the Bylaws, Rules and Regulations of HIMSS were written and approved. By 1982, HIMSS had 15 affiliated chapters (14 in the US and 1 in Australia). In 1986, the HIMSS was renamed to include "Information" in the title. By 1996, membership had grown to 7,500. As of April 2014[update], HIMSS has more than 52,000 individual members. Its annual conference was attended by more than 38,000 in Orlando, Florida.
Elected by the membership, the HIMSS Board of Directors serve a three-year term. "Hal" Wolf III was named president and CEO on July 26, 2017. He succeeded H. Stephen Lieber, who had served in those positions since 2000.
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Along with the Radiological Society of North America, HIMSS is a sponsor of the Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) initiative. HIMSS is also home to the Electronic Health Records Association. Supported by both the American Medical Informatics Association and HIMSS, the Alliance for Nursing Informatics represents more than 2,000 nurses and brings together 18 distinct nursing informatics groups that function independently. With 76 partnering organizations, HIMSS sponsors National Health IT Week, a collaborative forum during which key healthcare constituents - vendors, provider organizations, payors, pharmaceutical/biotech companies, governmental agencies, industry/professional associations, research foundations, and consumer protection groups - work together to elevate national attention to the necessity of greater health IT (information technology) adoption.
On January 16, 2019, the company announced the sale of its HIMSS Analytics platform to Definitive Healthcare.
- March 5, 2018Annual HIMSS Conference 2018, Las Vegas, NV – March 9, 2018 : 
- February 19, 2017 - February 23, 2017: Annual HIMSS Conference 2017, Orlando, FL
- April 12, 2015Annual HIMSS Conference, Chicago, Illinois – April 16, 2015 : 
- September 15, 2014HIMSS AsiaPac, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore – September 18, 2014 : 
- October 5, 2015National Health IT Week, United States – October 9, 2015 : 
- June 4, 2014HIMSS Virtual Conference: [not in citation given]
- Various dates – Regional Chapter Programs
- "History of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (Formerly Hospital Management Systems Society)" (PDF). Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. January 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-08-02.
- HIMSS Legacy Workgroup (January 2013), History of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (Formerly Hospital Management Systems Society) (PDF), archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-08-02
- Jodock, Pam (17 March 2014). "Sun Sets on Record-setting HIMSS14". HIMSS.
- Miliard, Mike (July 26, 2017). "Hal Wolf named CEO of HIMSS, digital health veteran to replace Steve Lieber". Healthcare IT News. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- "Definitive Healthcare acquires HIMSS Analytics data products and services". Healthcare IT News. 2019-01-16. Retrieved 2019-01-17.
- "HIMSS18 Annual Conference & Exhibition". Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS). Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "HIMSS15 Annual Conference & Exhibition". Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS). Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "HIMSS AsiaPac14". HIMSS Asia Pacific. Archived from the original on 26 March 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "National Health IT Week". Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "HIMSS Events (Local chapter)". HIMSS. Retrieved 22 May 2015.