Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
President & CEO
|Harold F. Wolf III|
|Sebastian Krolop (COO / CSO)|
The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) is an American not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving health care in quality, safety, cost-effectiveness and access through the best use of information technology and management systems. It was founded in 1961 as the Hospital Management Systems Society. It is now headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. The society has more than 100,000 individuals, 480 provider organizations, 470 non-profit partners and 650 health services organizations (as of December 2019). HIMSS is a US 501(c)6 organization.
HIMSS was organized in 1961 as the Hospital Management Systems Society (HMSS), an independent, unincorporated, nonprofit association of individuals. The society was co-founded by Edward J. Gerner and Harold E. Smalley. In late 1961, the constitution of the HIMSS was drafted and approved, and in 1962, the first national convention was held in Baltimore. In 1963, the second national HIMSS convention was held in Chicago, and the following year the HIMSS national headquarters were moved there. In 1967, the Bylaws, Rules and Regulations of HIMSS were written and approved. By 1982, HIMSS had 15 affiliated chapters (14 in the US and 1 in Australia). In 1986, the HIMSS was renamed to include "Information" in the title. By 1996, membership had grown to 7,500. Its annual conference in 2019 was attended by more than 42,000 in Orlando, Florida. As of February 2021, HIMSS achieved a membership milestone, surpassing more than 100,000 individual members. The year 2021 also marks the 60th anniversary of the organization.
Elected by the membership, the HIMSS Board of Directors serve a three-year term. "Hal" Wolf III was named president and CEO on July 26, 2017. He succeeded H. Stephen Lieber, who had served in those positions since 2000.
Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model
HIMSS' Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model is the most widely used assessment of digital excellence in healthcare internationally. The model goes from Stage 0 to Stage 7 and describes the adoption and use of electronic health records by hospitals. Stage 7 includes no use of paper charts and computerized provider order entry and clinical decision support systems are used in over 90% of the hospital. HIMSS Stage 7 remains an uncommon achievement. In 2018, 6% of hospitals in the US had achieved HIMSS Stage 7. There are various related frameworks.
Along with the Radiological Society of North America, HIMSS is a sponsor of the Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) initiative. HIMSS is also home to the Electronic Health Records Association. Supported by both the American Medical Informatics Association and HIMSS, the Alliance for Nursing Informatics represents more than 2,000 nurses and brings together 18 distinct nursing informatics groups that function independently. With 76 partnering organizations, HIMSS sponsors National Health IT Week, a collaborative forum during which key healthcare constituents - vendors, provider organizations, payors, pharmaceutical/biotech companies, governmental agencies, industry/professional associations, research foundations, and consumer protection groups - work together to elevate national attention to the necessity of greater health IT (information technology) adoption.
On January 16, 2019, the company announced the sale of its HIMSS Analytics platform to Definitive Healthcare.
- March 9–13, 2020: HIMSS Global Health Conference and Exhibition, Orlando, Florida. The conference has been canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- February 11, 2019 - February 15, 2019: Global Conference and Exhibition, Orlando, Florida
- March 5, 2018Annual HIMSS Conference 2018, Las Vegas, NV – March 9, 2018 : 
- February 19, 2017 - February 23, 2017: Annual HIMSS Conference 2017, Orlando, FL
- April 12, 2015Annual HIMSS Conference, Chicago, Illinois – April 16, 2015 : 
- September 15, 2014HIMSS AsiaPac, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore – September 18, 2014 : 
- October 5, 2015National Health IT Week, United States – October 9, 2015 : 
- June 4, 2014HIMSS Virtual Conference: [failed verification]
- Various dates – Regional Chapter Programs
- "History of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (Formerly Hospital Management Systems Society)" (PDF). Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. January 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-08-02.
- Jodock, Pam (December 3, 2019). "HIMSS19 Highlights". HIMSS Conference.
- Miliard, Mike (July 26, 2017). "Hal Wolf named CEO of HIMSS, digital health veteran to replace Steve Lieber". Healthcare IT News. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- Cresswell, Kathrin; Sheikh, Aziz; Krasuska, Marta; Heeney, Catherine; Franklin, Bryony Dean; Lane, Wendy; Mozaffar, Hajar; Mason, Kathy; Eason, Sally; Hinder, Susan; Potts, Henry W W.; Williams, Robin (2019). "Reconceptualising the digital maturity of health systems". The Lancet Digital Health. 1 (5): e200–e201. doi:10.1016/S2589-7500(19)30083-4. PMID 33323267.
- Van Poelgeest, Rube; Heida, Jan-Peter; Pettit, Lorren; De Leeuw, Rob J.; Schrijvers, Guus (2015). "The Association between e Health Capabilities and the Quality and Safety of Health Care in the Netherlands: Comparison of HIMSS Analytics EMRAM data with Elsevier's 'The Best Hospitals' data". Journal of Medical Systems. 39 (9): 90. doi:10.1007/s10916-015-0274-7. PMC 4525186. PMID 26242750.
- "How many hospitals are on each stage of HIMSS Analytics' EMR adoption model?" by JK Cohen, 2018, https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/ehrs/how-many-hospitals-are-on-each-stage-of-himss-analytics-emr-adoption-model.html
- "Definitive Healthcare acquires HIMSS Analytics data products and services". Healthcare IT News. 2019-01-16. Retrieved 2019-01-17.
- "About the HIMSS20 Conference". HIMSS20. 2019-09-06. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- HIMSS cancels 2020 global health conference due to coronavirus concerns, fiercehealthcare.com.
- "HIMSS 2019: Global Conference & Exhibition, Orlando".
- "HIMSS19 Global Conference & Exhibition". Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS). Retrieved 5 February 2019.
- "HIMSS15 Annual Conference & Exhibition". Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS). Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "HIMSS AsiaPac14". HIMSS Asia Pacific. Archived from the original on 26 March 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "National Health IT Week". Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "HIMSS Events (Local chapter)". HIMSS. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- Q&A: HIMSS CEO Hal Wolf on the expanding role of healthcare CIOs, government regulations, budgets and other topics
- HIMSS 2019 Conference
- "HIMSS19 - Save the Date!". HIMSS19. 2016-02-24. Retrieved 2019-02-05.