Heart Full of Soul
|"Heart Full of Soul"|
|Single by The Yardbirds|
|from the album Having a Rave Up with The Yardbirds|
|Released||June 4, 1965
July 2, 1965 (US)
|Recorded||April 20, 1965
Advision Studios, London
|The Yardbirds singles chronology|
"Heart Full of Soul" is a 1965 single by the English rock band The Yardbirds. It was written by Graham Gouldman, who would later have a successful career as a member of 10cc. It charted in the United States at number nine and at number two in the United Kingdom. The song makes an early use of the fuzz box by guitarist Jeff Beck during the guitar solo. Originally, a sitar was going to be used, in keeping with the "Eastern-exotic" atmosphere of the song, but the sound was too thin, and eventually Beck produced a sitar-like effect on the electric guitar. An outtake exists, with the sitar part intact.  The song is also known to being one of the firsts of the Indian-influenced genre raga rock and as the first pop song in the British rhythm and blues scene to feature the sitar/drone.
The B-side of the UK, US, German, Italian, and Irish releases was "Steeled Blues" written by Keith Relf and Jeff Beck.
In one way or another, all three of The Yardbirds' key guitarists were involved with "Heart Full of Soul". Although it is Beck that plays on the song, the US single was released with a picture sleeve erroneously showing the Eric Clapton line-up. A March 1968 appearance on the music show Upbeat featured the final line-up with Jimmy Page miming to the record.
"Heart Full of Soul" appears on the 1965 compilation album, Having a Rave Up. It was featured heavily in the 2010 film London Boulevard. The song was recorded in April 20, 1965 in Advision Studios and released in June 4, 1965 in the UK.
A version was also recorded by Chris Isaak and released as a single in 1987.
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||2|
|Canada (RPM100 Singles)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||9|
|US Cash Box Top Singles||12|
- Bellman, Jonathan (1998). The Exotic in Western Music, p. 297. Northeastern University Press. ISBN 1-55553-319-1.
- Alan di Perna (1 October 2012). Guitar Masters: Intimate Portraits. Hal Leonard. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-4803-2970-6.
- Peter Lavezzoli (24 April 2006). The Dawn of Indian Music in the West. A&C Black. p. 154. ISBN 978-0-8264-1815-9.
- "Record Details". 45cat.
- Power, Martin (10 November 2014). Hot Wired Guitar: The Life of Jeff Beck. Music Sales Limited. p. 77. ISBN 978-1-78323-386-1.
- "Yardbirds - Heart Full Of Soul". Chart Stats. 19 June 1965. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- Steffen Hung. "The Yardbirds - Heart Full Of Soul". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- musicline.de / PhonoNet GmbH. "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Cash Box Top 100 10/02/65". Cashboxmagazine.com. 2 October 1965. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
|This 1960s rock song–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|