This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Broadcast area||South and West Yorkshire|
|Branding||This is Heart|
|Slogan||Turn up the Feel Good!|
|Frequency||106.2, 107.6, 107.7 MHz / |
|First air date||25 March 2002 (as real radio)|
6 May 2014 (as Heart Yorkshire)
|Last air date||1 April 2014 (as real radio)|
|Sister stations||Capital Yorkshire|
Heart Yorkshire (previously Real Radio Yorkshire) is a regional radio station owned by Communicorp and operated by Global as part of the Heart network. It broadcasts to South and West Yorkshire from studios in Leeds.
Real Radio Yorkshire launched on 25 March 2002. The station transmits from Emley Moor on 106.2 MHz FM, which covers the majority of South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire, including Leeds, York, Doncaster, Huddersfield and Rotherham. It also broadcasts from Idle on 107.6 MHz FM to Bradford and Halifax, and on 107.7 MHz FM from Tapton Hill to Sheffield. Real Radio Yorkshire also broadcast across the whole of Yorkshire on DAB using the Regional MXR multiplex
On 25 June 2012 it was announced Global (the owner of stations such as Capital and Heart) had bought GMG Radio. The former GMG stations, including Real Radio, continued to operate separately as 'Real and Smooth Limited' until 1 April 2014.
On 6 February 2014, Global announced it would be rebranding all Real Radio stations as Heart. On 1 May 2014, local programming moved from Tingley, Wakefield to share facilities with sister station Capital Yorkshire in Hanover Walk, Leeds.
The full relaunch as Heart Yorkshire took place on Tuesday 6 May 2014. The station's audience share increased from 5.5% to over 7% following the relaunch. In June 2015 the Yorkshire MXR multiplex closed. Heart Yorkshire moved their services to local multiplexes in Leeds, Bradford and Sheffield, however they chose not to take up options in Hull and York.
In February 2019, following OFCOM's decision to relax local content obligations from commercial radio, Global announced it would replace Heart Yorkshire's local breakfast and weekend shows with networked programming from London.
From 3 June 2019, the station's local output will consist of a three-hour Drivetime show on weekdays, alongside local news bulletins, traffic updates and advertising.
Local programming is produced and broadcast from Global's Leeds studios from 6-10am and 4-7pm on weekdays, 6-10am on Saturdays and 12pm-4pm on Sundays. All networked programming originates from Global's London headquarters, including the syndicated Vodafone Big Top 40 on Sunday afternoons.
Heart Yorkshire broadcasts hourly regional news bulletins from 6am-7pm on weekdays and 6am-12pm at weekends - including two ten-minute weekday programmes, Heart Morning News at 6am and Heart Nightly News at 6.45pm - and headlines on the half hour during weekday breakfast and drivetime shows.
National news updates air hourly from Global's London headquarters at all other times. The Leeds newsroom also produces bulletins for Capital Yorkshire.
Former notable presenters
- Global confirms Heart expansion details Radio Today, 14 April 2014
- "Heart Yorkshire: British ac radio station". media.info.
- GMG Radio sold to Global for £50m Mark Sweeney, The Guardian, 25 June 2012
- Global Radio seals £50m purchase of GMG Radio Maisie McCabe, Media Week, 25 June 2012
- Martin, Roy (6 February 2014). "Communicorp buys 8 Global stations". RadioToday. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Heart Yorkshire - listening figures". media.info.
- "DAB radio changes in Yorkshire as MXR closes". RadioToday. 2 June 2015.
- Global to network Capital, Heart and Smooth breakfast shows, RadioToday, 26 February 2019
- Amanda Holden to join Jamie Theakston for Heart UK Breakfast, Radio Today, 29 April 2019
- West, Gillian (8 March 2013). "Boots UK launches radio and online programme hosted by Kate Thornton". The Drum. Retrieved 11 March 2013.