Heart and Soul (Huey Lewis and the News song)
|"Heart and Soul"|
|Single by Huey Lewis and the News|
|from the album Sports|
|B-side||"You Crack Me Up"|
|Released||August 30, 1983|
|Length||4:13 (Album version)|
|Songwriter(s)||Mike Chapman, Nicky Chinn|
|Producer(s)||Huey Lewis and the News|
|Huey Lewis and the News singles chronology|
"Heart and Soul" is a song written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn and made famous by Huey Lewis and the News. The song was first recorded by Exile in 1981 as the title track of their album Heart and Soul. Exile's single failed to crack the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 102 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart. The song was also recorded by the BusBoys for their 1982 album American Worker.
Huey Lewis and the News version
Huey Lewis and the News' version was released as the first single from the album Sports in 1983. The single peaked at number 8 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 that November and at the number one position on the Billboard Top Tracks chart.
The music video featured Lewis looking for, and leaving with, a woman in a dance club, with Lewis concert footage spliced in. Portions of the video are filmed at Potrero Hill, a neighborhood in San Francisco. Lewis liked Potrero Hill because it "looked very San Francisco". Actress Signy Coleman plays the woman Huey is chasing after in the dance club. Coleman also appears in the music video for "I Want a New Drug".
Former bandmember Chris Hayes remarks about the song, "I don't know why HEART & SOUL sounds so good. Usually we have to re-do all the guitar parts - this time it worked out the first time. I had a Marshall amp in a tiny room, played my Les Paul and it was great!"
- http://www.hueylewisandthenews.com/wp/?page_id=1038 Huey Lewis Fan Q&A: November 24, 2014
- http://www.hueylewisandthenews.com/wp/?page_id=1038 Huey Lewis Fan Q&A: February 9, 2015
- http://www.hueylewisandthenews.com/wp/?page_id=1038 Huey Lewis Fan Q&A: September 1, 2013
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2011-11-24.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Huey Lewis And The News - Heart And Soul". Ultratop.be. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending November 26, 1983". Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 2018-01-06.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)Cash Box magazine.
- "InfoDisc : Bilan des Ventes par Artiste". Infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- "Huey Lewis And The News". Chart Stats. Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 11, 2012. Retrieved January 6, 2018.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
|This 1980s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|