Heart of Midlothian F.C. Under-20s and Academy
|Full name||Heart of Midlothian Football Club Development Squad|
|Nickname(s)||The Maroons (earliest nickname);
The Jam Tarts;
|Founded||1874; (138 years ago)|
|League||SPFL Development League|
In addition to the Heart of Midlothian F.C. first team competing in the Scottish Premiership, the club also maintain an Under-20 squad in the SPFL Development League and various youth teams. Previously the club fielded a reserve team, prior to its abandonment in 2009.
Hearts Reserves were the reserve team of Heart of Midlothian.
Hearts were members of the Scottish Premier Reserve League from its foundation in the 1998–99 season. The league started as an U21 League but reverted to an open age group league in season 2004–05. The Reserve League was abandoned for season 2009–10 due to financial constraints and a lack of support from other clubs. Hearts Reserves formerly played their home games at Forthbank Stadium (the home of Stirling Albion). The team mainly consisted of Under-19 players and those on the fringe of the first team squad. Some of the first team also played when recovering from injury.
The Reserves' head coach was Gary Locke.
Under-20 Team & development squad
The Heart of Midlothian Under-20 Team competes in the SPFL Development League previously the Scottish Premier Under 20's League.
The Under-20s head coach is Jon Daly, following the promotion of Robbie Neilson.
U20 development squad
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- Scottish Reserve League (1955-1975)
- Champions (1): 1958
- Runners-up (4): 1957, 1971, 1972, 1975
- Premier Reserve League (1975-1998)
- Champions (2): 1993, 1997
- Runners-up (1): 1996
- Scottish Premier Reserve League (1998-2009)
- Champions (1): 1999–00
- Runners-up (2): 2003–04, 2008–09
|Director of Football||Craig Levein|
|Under-20 team head coach||Jon Daly|
Former youth team players
- Hearts Official Website – Reserve squad profiles
- Scottish Premier League website – Reserve League news
- Scottish Premier League website – Reserve League tables
- Scottish Premier League website – Reserve League fixtures
- Roll of Honour at Hearts Youth Development Committee
- Academy Overview at Hearts Youth Development Committee
- Hearts official website – Under-19 Squad profiles
- Hearts launch Academy
- Scottish Premier League website – Under-19 League news
- Scottish Premier League website – Under-19 League tables
- Scottish Premier League website – Under-19 League fixtures
- Scottish Football Association website – SFA Youth Cup results and archive
- "Ann Budge to start at Tynecastle on Monday". bbc.co.uk/sport. BBC Sport. 9 May 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- SPL Reserve League - General Information
- Reserve League scrapped, Ewing Grahame: The Telegraph, published 5 January 2009
- Scottish Football Historical Archive Mirror - Scottish Reserve League
- Scottish Football Historical Archive Mirror - Premier Reserve League