Heartaches by the Number
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Heartaches by the Number"|
|Single by Guy Mitchell|
|Guy Mitchell singles chronology|
The biggest hit version was recorded by Guy Mitchell on August 24, 1959. It reached the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 for the weeks of December 14 and December 21, 1959. The recording was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 41476. This would be Guy's second Pop chart topper (After Singing the Blues); ironically, it would also be his last top-40 single in the Billboard charts. Columbia first issued a mono recording by Mitchell as a 7" 45 rpm single, which became the hit. Columbia later issued a stereo version of the song, also by Mitchell, however the mono and stereo issues are in fact two completely different recordings. The hit version has never appeared in stereo and has only appeared on a lone compact disc release (Hit Parade Records 12311, "Hard to Find Jukebox Classics 1959: Pop Gold.")  The video game Fallout: New Vegas does not feature his original Columbia Records version; rather it is a 1980 re-recording made for K-Tel records.
Earlier in the year, the song also made the country music charts in a version by Ray Price (Columbia 41374). Price's version reached number two and spent 40 weeks on the Billboard Hot C&W Sides chart.
Sheet music for the song was a best seller in both the US and Britain in January 1960.
Mercury also included a version of the song by Leroy Van Dyke on the album Walk on By (MG 20682/SR 60682). Also in 1961, Kitty Wells recorded a version for her LP Heartbreak U.S.A.. A later version by Jack Reno reached #26 on the same chart in 1972.
Other artists who have covered this song include: Johnny Tillotson in 1965, Willie Nelson in 1966, Waylon Jennings in 1967, Jerry Lee Lewis in 1969, Dwight Yoakam in 1986, Martina McBride (featuring Dwight Yoakam) in 2005, Rosanne Cash in 2009, Connie Francis, Buck Owens, The Playtones in 2013. Recently in 2014 artist Mary Sarah released a duet version featuring Ray Price to country music radio in January 2014  as the first single of the upcoming album release of Great American Country Duets "Bridges" featuring duets with Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Ray Price, Tanya Tucker, Vince Gill, Ronnie Milsap, The Oakridge Boys, Lynn Anderson, John Rich, Big and Rich, and executive producer Freddy Powers. Cyndi Lauper covered the song for her 2016 studio album Detour.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.K. Singles Charts||5|
|U.S. Hot Rhythm & Blues Singles||19|
|German Singles Charts||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||35|
|U.S. Adult Contemporary||4|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||14|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||26|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 431.
- "Various Artists - Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1959: Pop Gold - Amazon.com Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Songs from the Mojave Wasteland - Music as Heard in Fallout: New Vegas by Various Artists on Apple Music". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- Billboard Jan 11, 1960. page 48
- "Country and Western Hits - George Jones | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 347. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- [dead link]
- Steffen Hung. "Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number". Norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.