|Website:||Heather Crowe at smoke-free.ca|
Crowe was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2002. Famously claiming to have "never smoked a day in her life", Crowe believed her cancer to be the result of regularly breathing second-hand smoke at her workplace, Moe's Newport Restaurant, for over forty years. In 2002, she submitted a successful claim related to second-hand smoke exposure in the workplace to the Ontario Workplace Safety & Insurance Board for lost earnings and health care benefits. Based on her $12,000 salary, WSIB awarded her $200 a week, $4,000 a year to help with medical expenses and a one-time payment of $40,000 for pain and suffering.
Following Crowe's lobbying campaign, the province of Ontario passed an anti-smoking bill which banned smoking in all indoor public spaces and near the entrances of government buildings. The law came into effect four days after Crowe's death in 2006. She was survived by her daughter, whom she raised alone.
- "Heather Crowe's life in limbo". CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc. February 22, 2006.
- Obituary on CTV News, ctv.ca; accessed May 11, 2014.