Heather French Henry
Heather French Henry
French Henry in 2000
|Second Lady of Kentucky|
October 27, 2000 – December 9, 2003
|Lieutenant Governor||Steve Henry|
|Preceded by||Judi Patton|
|Succeeded by||Ruth Ann Cox|
Heather Renee French
December 29, 1974
Steve Henry (m. 2000)
|Education||University of Cincinnati (BA, MDes)|
Raised in Augusta, Kentucky, Heather French Henry graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning. She competed in pageants through her teens, including the Miss Ohio pageant. She competed in the Miss Kentucky Pageant four times before winning the title on her fifth attempt in 1999. She won the 2000 Miss America pageant in September 1999, the first Kentuckian to do so. Her platform for her reign was raising awareness of homeless veterans; her father was a wounded veteran of the Vietnam War. She has received numerous awards for her work with veterans, including Kentuckian of the Year by Kentucky Monthly.
On October 27, 2000, she married Kentucky Lieutenant Governor Steve Henry, 21 years her senior, in Louisville, Kentucky. The wedding led to controversy over state resources being expended as part of the wedding and planning. The Henrys repaid the state $3,200 for services related to their wedding rendered to them by state employees. The couple have two daughters, Harper Renee (born 2001) and Taylor Augusta (born 2003).
In October 2003, French Henry struck and subsequently killed Karola Stede, 44, a native of Germany and mother of four who was crossing against the traffic light in a Louisville intersection. French said that the accident deeply affected her, and she subsequently recounted her story in venues such as The Oprah Winfrey Show.
- "Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999". Ancestry.com. Retrieved December 17, 2010.
- Contributor, Tops Louisville. "There She Is". www.topslouisville.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Miss America : 2000". Archived from the original on 2008-09-20.
- Ex-Miss America becomes Mrs. Steve Henry today
- Cheves, John (2009-12-23). "Plea agreement reached in Henry fund-raising case". Kentucky.com.
- "Louisville Wedding-Weddings in Louisville-Louisville-Kentucky". Archived from the original on 2008-12-04.
- "Heather French Henry relives pain on 'Oprah'". Cincinnati Enquirer. November 15, 2003. Retrieved September 17, 2019.
- "Richmond Businessman Lee Murphy to Serve on Governor's Transition Team" (Press release). Richmond, Kentucky: Chapel Communications. November 16, 2007. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "Veterans Affairs : KDVA Commissioner".
- WKYT: Heather French Henry wins Democratic nod for Secretary of State
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Heather French.|
- Heather French Foundation for Veterans Website
- Heather French Henry's Official Website
- Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs Commissioner Bio
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss Kentucky
Shanna Kari Moore
| Miss America
Angela Perez Baraquio