|Mark Bostock, Captain William 'Jock' Lowe, Steven Costello, Peter Lonergan|
Heathrow Hub proposes extending both of the existing runways up to a total length of about 7,000 metres and dividing them into four so that they each provide two, full length, runways, allowing simultaneous take-offs and landings. The aim is to complete the construction within five years and with 100% private funds.
Available capacity would be doubled while keeping a percentage of the slots unused in order to alter noise levels. In addition, early morning flights could land much further west along the extended runways so reducing the noise footprint for a large area of west London. Other noise mitigation techniques include using two-stage approaches, and steeper, curved climb-outs.
The Heathrow Hub concept includes a new multimodal air, rail and road interchange located approximately two miles north of Heathrow's Terminal 5 to accommodate passenger growth. This includes a new terminal, a new railway station connecting Heathrow to the West Coast Mainline and Crossrail and direct access to the M25 motorway.
According to a paper published by the think-tank the Centre for Policy Studies, the Heathrow Hub proposal would cost ~£10 billion compared to the £65 billion estimated cost of the Thames Estuary Airport situated on the Isle of Grain and promoted by London Mayor Boris Johnson. Heathrow Hub estimates the cost of implementing its expansion plan to reach ~£12.5 billion, including road diversions and a train station. The commission estimates the cost to be around £13.5 billion; higher than HH's own estimate.
- The Sunday Times - Captain Jock, clear to land at four-runway Heathrow - 24 March 2013
- Airports Commission: Interim Report (PDF), gov.uk, 1 December 2013, p. 15, retrieved 21 March 2016 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Financial Times - Pilot plots longer Heathrow runways - 10 March 2013
- CPS paper - Double Upon Heathrow - July 2013
- The Times - Increased capacity at Heathrow - 30 October 2013
- Financial Times - Boris Johnson favours inner Thames estuary site for hub airport - 14 July 2013
- Dunn, Graham (11 November 2014), "Heathrow, Gatwick expansion costs under-estimated: Davies", Flightglobal, Reed Business Information, retrieved 11 November 2014 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Heathrow runway extension plan dreamt up 25 years ago". The Daily Telegraph. 21 December 2013. Retrieved 21 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)