Heaven's Design Team
|Heaven's Design Team|
(Tenchi Sōzō Dezain-bu)
|Magazine||Monthly Morning Two|
|Original run||February 22, 2017 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Sōichi Masui|
|Written by||Michiko Yokote|
|Music by||Hayato Matsuo|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, MBS, TVA, BS-Fuji|
|Original run||January 7, 2021 – March 25, 2021|
|Episodes||12 + special|
Heaven's Design Team (Japanese: 天地創造デザイン部, Hepburn: Tenchi Sōzō Dezain-bu) is a Japanese comedy manga series, written by Hebi-Zou and Tsuta Suzuki and illustrated by Tarako. It has been serialized in Kodansha's seinen manga magazine Monthly Morning Two since February 2017 and has been collected in eight tankōbon volumes. The manga is licensed in North America by Kodansha USA. An anime television series adaptation by Asahi Production aired from January 7 to March 25, 2021.
Kami-sama ("God", in English) created the Earth and filled the world with natural resources. Though God originally was going to create the animals that would inhabit the world, the task was outsourced to a team of creative minds. God generally sends tasks to the team to fulfill ideas for an animal with unique and quirky features based on vague descriptions or design goals. Designs that he approves become animals while rejected ones go back to the designer to revise until he is satisfied. Other times, the team can freely create a new design on their own whims and preferences in aesthetic and physical designs. One of God's angels, Shimoda, is tasked with overseeing the crew and sending potential new animals for God's approval.
The series serves to illustrate biology of real life animals and their characteristics as well as explaining some biological issues regarding mythical animals, all this while showing the concepts of design thinking, such as testing and prototyping.
- Shimoda (下田, Shimoda)
- Voiced by: Junya Enoki
- Shimoda is a rookie angel assigned by God to oversee the design team and serves as the communication point between the design team and God. The design team submit papers containing details and illustrations of their potential animals to Shimoda in a notebook that he carries. God then sends him a direct telepathic message with his decision if the animal is approved or rejected. Though his appearance and personality is that of a full-grown adult, Shimoda is a relatively newly created angel and is noted to have terrible handwriting. He is also a skilled baker and occasionally bakes pastries for the design team.
- Ueda (上田, Ueda)
- Voiced by: Yumi Hara
- Ueda is a fellow angel and is Shimoda's supervisor. Like Shimoda, she sometimes serves as a communication point between the design team and God for the results of animals that are approved. She is also the supervisor of the various other departments such as the insect department.
- God, the Creator (神様, Kami-sama)
- Voiced by: Naoki Tatsuta
- Kami-sama (God, in English) is the unseen deity of the series who approves of the animal designs submitted by the team. God designates criteria for the design team to fulfill when making requests, leaving them to ponder how to tackle them. These are usually vague descriptions and are left to the design team to interpret and design an animal. Using either Shimoda or Ueda, he receives the tentative animal designs and relays back to them telepathically if they have been approved or rejected. Other times it seems that he can oversee the design team's design process and immediately approve of a design without a submission.
- Tsuchiya/Saturn (土屋, Tsuchiya)
- Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue
- Tsuchiya is the chief of the design team, and he is perpetually obsessed with horses, his greatest masterpiece. He often tries to insert his horse design into the various design requests that God sends, though despite the modifications to the horse design that they submit, they are often rejected such as the Pegasus and Unicorn due to biological complications. Despite his insistence, his team remains supportive of him and encourages him to push forward, even though the final designs are often un-horse like in the end.
- Kimura/Jupiter (木村, Kimura)
- Voiced by: Yūichirō Umehara
- Kimura is the most carefree of the team and rarely gets into arguments with his fellow team members. His is a foodie by nature and a vast majority of his designs are meant to be eaten. He also does not hesitate to sneak a taste of his fellow team members' animals, even if they are poisonous, just to find out if they are tasty. He also enjoys acting like a detective on occasion whenever a mystery is afoot in the department. His greatest masterpiece is the cow.
- Mizushima/Mercury (水島, Mizushima)
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe
- Mizushima is an aloof and somewhat stoic member of the team. Unlike most of his teammates, he does not have a particular quirk in designing his animals aside from making them as efficiently designed as possible. Besides Higuchi, Mizushima is usually the one to point out issues with his teammates' designs. His greatest masterpieces are snakes, which he is particularly passionate in defending, usually resulting in him conflicting with Kanamori whose bird designs are often preyed upon by his snakes.
- Kanamori/Venus (金森, Kanamori)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio
- Kanamori is a flamboyant woman with an eye for beauty and style, the basis for her designs. Most of her designs are birds since she is the one who designed the original bird model, her greatest masterpiece. She is the only member of the design team to regularly change attire. She has a tendency to be overly dramatic in most situations and hates to settle on her designs if they are not absolutely aesthetically beautiful in her opinion. She has a strong dislike of insects in general, but is more than willing to use the insect department's input to finish a design if absolutely necessary such as her Hummingbird.
- Meido/Pluto (冥戸, Meido)
- Voiced by: Naomi Ōzora
- Meido dresses in a punk-lolita fashion and has a deep obsession with creating morbid features into her design. Many of her creatures are poisonous, cannibalistic, and parasitic, all of which she considers to be cute. Her designs tend to have the widest range of appearances from a shark to a koala. Before the events of manga, she used to work in plant department but was transferred after designing a carnivorous plant. She carries an Anomalocarida shaped plush. Her greatest masterpieces are poisonous frogs.
- Unabara/Neptune (海原, Unabara)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Takeuchi
- Unabara is the tallest and biggest of the design team, but inversely the most gentle and sensitive of the crew. He has an eye for creating cute animals as noted by the stuffed rabbit doll that he regularly carries. His greatest masterpieces are the kangaroo and later the sea otter.
- Higuchi/Mars (火口, Higuchi)
- Voiced by: Asuna Tomari
- Higuchi is the primary engineer of the design team and creates the drafts of the animals the team creates for testing. She is opinionated about the end designs and can identify most of the issues the drafts have. Her passion for creating the animals can be aggressive at times but is overall very friendly to the rest of the team. She also runs and maintains the Galápagos Islands, a simulation island meant to test out new submissions in the wild, of which she can freely change the Biome and manipulate the weather to fully test out the animals.
Other Reoccurring Characters
- Yokota (横田, Yokota)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka
- A representative of Hell, Yokota is not a member of the design team, but in similar fashion to God, he tasks the design team with creating hellish creatures to inhabit the realm, namely for a Hell theme park in production. Before the events of manga he was an angel, and closely resembled Shimoda, except his hair was white. He speaks in a Chūnibyō fashion.
- Mushibu (虫部, Mushibu)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Mizushima
- Mushibu is a side department dedicated to designing insects, though the design team sometimes come to them for inspiration when creating features of their animals. There are seven members of the team, but they all share the same appearance aside from different colored shirts. They also occasionally talk in unison.
- Kenta (土屋 ケンタ, Tsuchiya Kenta)
- Voiced by: Hina Kino
- Kenta is Tsuchiya's grandson who visits the heaven's design team on occasion. His childish drawings sometimes becomes an approved animal. Like his grandfather, he loves horses.
Heaven's Design Team is written by Hebi-Zou and Tsuta Suzuki and illustrated by Tarako. The series began in Kodansha's seinen manga magazine Monthly Morning Two on February 22, 2017. Kodansha has collected its chapters into individual tankōbon volumes. The first volume was released on November 22, 2017 As of July 2022, eight volumes have been released.
In North America, Kodansha USA announced the English digital release of the series in April 2018. Kodansha announced the print release of the series in November 2019, with the first volume released on October 20, 2020.
|No.||Original release date||Original ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||November 22, 2017||978-4-06-510461-3||May 8, 2018 (digital)|
October 20, 2020 (physical)
|2||June 22, 2018||978-4-06-511712-5||October 30, 2018 (digital)|
December 8, 2020 (physical)
|3||January 23, 2019||978-4-06-514673-6||June 18, 2019 (digital)|
February 23, 2021 (physical)
|4||August 23, 2019||978-4-06-516885-1||December 24, 2019 (digital)|
March 30, 2021 (physical)
|5||April 23, 2020||978-4-06-510461-3||September 29, 2020 (digital)|
July 13, 2021 (physical)
|6||January 21, 2021||978-4-06-521855-6||June 29, 2021 (digital)|
September 21, 2021 (physical)
|7||October 21, 2021||978-4-06-524640-5||July 19, 2022||978-1-64-651354-3|
|8||July 22, 2022||978-4-06-528468-1||—||—|
An anime television series adaptation was announced in April 2020. The series is directed by Sōichi Masui at Asahi Production, with series composition handled by Michiko Yokote, character designs by Sachiko Oohashi, and music composed by Hayato Matsuo. It aired from January 7 to March 25, 2021 on AT-X and other channels. A special was released on April 2, 2021. Muse Communication has licensed the series in Southeast Asia and South Asia. The opening theme song is "Give It Up？" performed by "96Neko" (96猫, "Kuro Neko"), and the ending theme song is "DESIGNED BY HEAVEN！" performed by "Paraiso☆Employee Stars" (パライソ☆社員スターズ, "Paraiso☆Shain Sutāzu"). Crunchyroll licensed the series.
|No.||Title ||Directed by [a]||Written by [a]||Original air date |
Transcription: "Anken Ichi" (Japanese: 案件１)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Michiko Yokote||January 7, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Ni" (Japanese: 案件２)
|Yōsuke Nakanishi||Michiko Yokote||January 14, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken San" (Japanese: 案件３)
|Kenta Noda||Michiko Yokote||January 21, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Yon" (Japanese: 案件４)
|Yasuo Ejima||Michiko Yokote||January 28, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Go" (Japanese: 案件５)
|Yōsuke Nakanishi||Michiko Yokote||February 4, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Roku" (Japanese: 案件６)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Michiko Yokote||February 11, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Nana" (Japanese: 案件７)
|Takahiro Ōtsuka||Michiko Yokote||February 18, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Hachi" (Japanese: 案件８)
|Yōsuke Nakanishi||Michiko Yokote||February 25, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Kyū" (Japanese: 案件９)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Michiko Yokote||March 4, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Jū" (Japanese: 案件１０)
|Yasuo Ejima||Michiko Yokote||March 11, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Jūichi" (Japanese: 案件１１)
|Yōsuke Nakanishi||Michiko Yokote||March 18, 2021|
Transcription: "Anken Jūni" (Japanese: 案件１２)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Michiko Yokote||March 25, 2021|
Transcription: "Tokubetsu-hen" (Japanese: 特別編)
|Yasuo Ejima||Michiko Yokote||April 2, 2021|
- Information is taken from the ending credits of each episode.
- "Heaven's Design Team Workplace Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. April 21, 2020. Retrieved April 21, 2020.
- Chapman, Paul (February 1, 2021). "Heaven's Design Team Shares Fruits of Science Museum Collab". Crunchyroll. Retrieved February 2, 2021.
- "Kodansha Comics Announces 5 New Digital First Manga Licenses for May". Anime News Network. April 26, 2018. Retrieved April 24, 2020.
- Harding, Daryl. "1st Cast Members Descend from Above for Heaven's Design Team TV Anime". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 20 July 2020.
- "Heaven's Design Team Anime's Teaser Unveils More Cast". Anime News Network. August 19, 2020. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- 「ALL OUT!!」大原野の抱き枕カバーが全サに、動物デザイン下請けコメディも. Natalie (in Japanese). Natasha, Inc. February 22, 2017. Retrieved February 2, 2021.
- 天地創造デザイン部（１） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- 天地創造デザイン部（８） [Heaven's Design Department (8)] (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved July 22, 2022.
- Ressler, Karen (April 26, 2018). "Kodansha Comics Announces 5 New Digital First Manga Licenses for May". Anime News Network. Retrieved February 2, 2021.
- Mateo, Alex (November 17, 2019). "Kodansha Comics Announces 12 Digital Manga Licenses, 4 Manga Print Releases". Anime News Network. Retrieved February 2, 2021.
- "Heaven's Design Team 1". Penguin Random House. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- 天地創造デザイン部（２） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Heaven's Design Team 2". Penguin Random House. Retrieved December 18, 2020.
- 天地創造デザイン部（３） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Heaven's Design Team 3". Penguin Random House. Retrieved September 18, 2021.
- 天地創造デザイン部（４） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Heaven's Design Team 4". Penguin Random House. Retrieved September 18, 2021.
- 天地創造デザイン部（５） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Heaven's Design Team 5". Penguin Random House. Retrieved September 18, 2021.
- 天地創造デザイン部（６） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Heaven's Design Team 6". Penguin Random House. Retrieved September 18, 2021.
- 天地創造デザイン部（７） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved October 12, 2021.
- "Heaven's Design Team 7". Kodansha USA. Retrieved July 22, 2022.
- Harding, Daryl. "Heaven's Design Team TV Anime Descends for Broadcast in January 2021". Crunchyroll.
- Loo, Egan (November 20, 2020). "Heaven's Design Team Anime's Full Promo Video Unveils January 7 Premiere". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 20, 2020.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (October 21, 2020). "Muse Asia Licenses Heaven's Design Team Anime". Retrieved October 21, 2020.
- "Burūrei & Dībuidī & Shīdī｜Terebi Anime "Tenchi Sōzō Dezain-bu" Kōshiki Saito" BD&DVD&CD｜TVアニメ「天地創造デザイン部」公式サイト [BD & DVD & CD｜TV Anime "Heaven's Design Team" Official Website]. tendebu.jp (in Japanese). Archived from the original on November 20, 2020. Retrieved November 20, 2020.
- "FINAL UPDATE: Crunchyroll Announces Winter 2021 Anime Lineup! (1/5)". Crunchyroll. January 5, 2021. Retrieved January 6, 2021.
- "Sutōrī｜Terebi Anime "Tenchi Sōzō Dezain-bu" Kōshiki Saito" STORY｜TVアニメ「天地創造デザイン部」公式サイト [Story｜TV Anime "Heaven's Design Team" Official Website]. tendebu.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- "Heaven's Design Team - Watch on Crunchyroll". Crunchyroll. Archived from the original on January 7, 2021. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- "On'ea｜Terebi Anime "Tenchi Sōzō Dezain-bu" Kōshiki Saito" ON AIR｜TVアニメ「天地創造デザイン部」公式サイト [On Air｜TV Anime "Heaven's Design Team" Official Website]. tendebu.jp (in Japanese). Archived from the original on November 20, 2020. Retrieved November 20, 2020.