Heaven & Earth (TV series)
|Heaven & Earth|
|Also known as||As Much as Heaven and Earth |
By Land and Sky
High as the Sky, Wide as the Earth
|Genre||Romance, Drama, Family|
|Written by||Choi Hyun-kyung|
|Directed by||Moon Bo-hyun|
|Starring||Park Hae-jin |
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||165|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Distributor||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Original release||January 15 –|
August 31, 2007
Heaven & Earth (Hangul: 하늘만큼 땅만큼; RR: Haneul Mankeum Ddang Mankeum; lit. Like Land and Sky) is a 2007 South Korean television series starring Park Hae-jin, Han Hyo-joo, Lee Joo-hyun, Kang Jung-hwa, and Hong Soo-ah. It aired on KBS1 from January 15 to August 31, 2007 on Mondays to Fridays at 20:25 for 165 episodes.
The daily drama was a hit, maintaining an average viewership rating of 30% throughout its nine-month run. Its peak viewership rating of 36.1% (on episode 164) made it the third highest-rated Korean drama of 2007.
Jung Mu-young (Park Hae-jin) was left by his birth-mother under the care of Kim Tae-shik (Jung Han-yong) and his wife Park Myung-ja (Jung Ae-ri) when he was very young. His mother promised to come after him later but she never did. The Kim family raised Mu-young like he was their own son but never changed his family name because they thought his birth-mother might later come to pick him up. Despite a lack of money, Myung-ja has managed to keep the family together; moreover, she never once treated Mu-young any differently than her biological son, still having a different family name with his older brother Kim Sang-hyun (Lee Joo-hyun) made him escape home several times. Mu-young is outwardly rebellious, unforgiving, and in constant conflict with his family; he keeps an emotional distance from them, for fear of getting hurt one day. At school he meets the cheerful and kindhearted Seok Ji-soo (Han Hyo-joo), who not only values her family greatly, but goes out of her way to help others. Thinking too highly of Ji Soo and too low of himself and aware of the possible negative reaction her family might have toward his confession to her, he tries making a distance between himself and Ji Soo.
As a grown up, Ji-soo begins working for Myung-ja's stepsister Park Myung-joo (Yoon Hae-young), and learns that she and her single father Seok Jong-hoon (Hong Yo-seob) are in love and she fully supports her father's newfound romance. She is also seeing a rich family's son who wants to propose to her.
Heaven & Earth tackles the issues the modern family faces, such as the difficulties faced by stepparents and stepchildren; conflicts between biological and adoptive parents; the aftermath of a remarriage; and the high divorce rate among the younger generation, and resulting involuntary childcare from their grandparents.
- Park Hae-jin as Jung Mu-young
- Han Hyo-joo as Seok Ji-soo
- Kang Jung-hwa as Yoon Eun-joo
- Lee Joo-hyun as Kim Sang-hyun
- Hong Soo-ah as Yoon Eun-ha
- Kim family
- Jung Han-yong as Kim Tae-shik, Sang-hyun and Mu-young's father
- Jung Ae-ri as Park Myung-ja, Sang-hyun's mother
- Ban Hyo-jung as Han Bong-rye, Myung-ja's mother
- Jung Jae-soon as Lee Soon-im, Myung-ja's stepmother
- Yoon Hae-young as Park Myung-joo, Soon-im's daughter
- Kim Il-woo as Park Myung-tae, Myung-ja's younger brother
- Seok family
- Hong Yo-seob as Seok Jong-hoon, Ji-soo's father
- Seo Jae-kyung as Seok Ji-woong, Ji-soo's older brother
- Kang Rae-yeon as Se Mi-ae, Ji-woong's wife
- Yoon family
- Jung Dong-hwan as Yoon Jae-doo, Eun-joo and Eun-ha's father
- Kim Ja-ok as Ahn Hye-kyung, Eun-joo and Eun-ha's mother
- Extended cast
- Choi Won-young as Jang Young-min
- Han Jin-hee as President Jang, Young-min's father
- Seo Jun-young as Song Ji-min
- Lee Hye-sook as Jin-sook
- Park Hyo-bin
- Han Young-kwang
- Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama: Park Hae-jin
- Popularity Award: Han Hyo-joo
- Best Couple Award: Park Hae-jin and Han Hyo-joo
- 하늘만큼 땅만큼 - Heaven&Earth (EP01) #001. YouTube (in Korean). KBS Drama. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "I want to try out for more extreme roles". The Dong-a Ilbo. 5 April 2007. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Popularity rating of dramas in 2007, from top 5 to bottom 5". Hancinema. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "2007 Year-end Korean drama awards round-up". Hancinema. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2013-08-25.