Heaven Knows (The Pretty Reckless song)
|Single by The Pretty Reckless|
|from the album Going to Hell|
|Released||November 19, 2013|
(Hoboken, New Jersey)
|Label||Razor & Tie|
|The Pretty Reckless singles chronology|
"Heaven Knows" is a song by American rock band The Pretty Reckless from their second studio album, Going to Hell (2014). It was released on November 19, 2013, as the album's second single. The song was written by Taylor Momsen and Ben Phillips, while Kato Khandwala was responsible for the production. "Heaven Knows" is the band's first single to top a Billboard chart (Mainstream Rock) and the second single to top UK Rock Singles Chart, following their debut single "Make Me Wanna Die" (2010). The song later entered the Alternative Songs chart, peaking at number 20.
Following the end of their worldwide tour The Medicine Tour in 2012, the band began working on their second studio album. They were recording at Water Music Recording Studios in Hoboken, New Jersey, when the studio was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy in October 2012. They lost a lot of equipment and recordings of songs meant for the album. After that, they had to re-record a lot of songs they had been working on at the time. Interscope Records released "Kill Me" to digital retailers on December 2, 2012; it would serve as the album's lead single. However, a conflict with the record company, mostly because of the poor performance of "Kill Me" on charts and sales, caused The Pretty Reckless to end their deal with Interscope, and on September 24, 2013, it was announced the band had signed on with the label Razor & Tie.
Chris Payne of Billboard praised "Heaven Knows" and described it as "Queen's 'We Will Rock You' with Joan Jett vocals". Chucky Eddy of Rolling Stone also praised the song, calling it a "full-on glam [stomp] about troubled teens".
"Heaven Knows" was The Pretty Reckless' first single to top a Billboard chart. It was their first entry on the Mainstream Rock Songs chart and it ended up peaking at number one for three consecutive weeks. It was the second song by a female-fronted band to top that chart in 24 years. After the song's number one success on mainstream rock radio stations, it was finally released to modern rock radio stations where it also became the band's first entry on the Alternative Songs, where it peaked at number 20. The song failed to enter the Billboard Hot 100, instead reaching number 14 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart. The song was also the band's first entry on the Canadian Hot 100, peaking at number 48.
The single debuted at number 151 on the UK Singles Chart for the week ending March 1, 2014. It entered the top 100 at number 95 in its third week on the chart, and in its fifth week, it peaked at number 61 with 3,737 copies sold. "Heaven Knows" also became the band's second number-one song on the UK Rock Singles Chart.
The music video for "Heaven Knows", co-directed by lead vocalist Taylor Momsen and Jon J, was shot on location in Miami. Momsen said of the video, "How do you sum up a song that is metaphorically speaking about everyone's life from any general perspective on video? You understate it. We decided to film variations of all of the issues we as a people are facing, whether personal, political or social. We took a lot of shots, each representing some social constant or emotional struggle. Some overt, some subtle, but it's all in there. Everything is thrown at you from the day you're born. Your only chance is to think for yourself... which is not as simple as it sounds."
- Digital download
- "Heaven Knows" – 3:44
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
sales+streaming figures based on certification alone
|United States||November 19, 2013||Digital download||Razor & Tie|||
|Canada||December 3, 2013|||
|Australia||January 17, 2014||Cooking Vinyl|||
|United Kingdom||January 19, 2014|||
|France||January 20, 2014|||
- List of Billboard Mainstream Rock number-one songs of the 2010s
- List of UK Rock & Metal Singles Chart number ones of 2014
- Hyman, Dan (September 23, 2013). "The Pretty Reckless Confront Tragedy on 'Going to Hell'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- "The Pretty Reckless Join Razor & Tie's U.S. Label Roster". Razor & Tie. September 24, 2014. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "The Pretty Reckless Releases Digital Single "Heaven Knows" November 19". Razor & Tie. November 19, 2013. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Payne, Chris (March 25, 2014). "Taylor Momsen's The Pretty Reckless Cracks Rock Radio's Boys Club". Billboard. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- Eddy, Chuck (March 18, 2014). "The Pretty Reckless: Going to Hell". Rolling Stone. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "The Pretty Reckless Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "The Pretty Reckless Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- "Search results: Bubbling Under Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "The Pretty Reckless Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "CHART: CLUK Update 1.03.2014 (wk8)". Zobbel. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Official Singles Chart UK Top 100". Official Charts Company. March 15, 2014. Archived from the original on March 9, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Jones, Alan (March 24, 2014). "Official Charts Analysis: George Michael sells 50k to hit No.1". Music Week. Retrieved April 29, 2014. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- "Charts.nz – The Pretty Reckless – Heaven Knows". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "Lescharts.com – The Pretty Reckless – Heaven Knows" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "The Pretty Reckless' New Video for "Heaven Knows" Premiering Today on VEVO". Razor & Tie. February 13, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Heaven Knows: The Pretty Reckless: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Search results: Canada Rock". Billboard. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "The Pretty Reckless Chart History (Japan Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "Pretty Reckless: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "The Pretty Reckless Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "The Pretty Reckless Chart History (Rock Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Hot Rock Songs – Year-End 2014". Billboard. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- "Mainstream Rock Songs – Year-End 2014". Billboard. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- "Rock Airplay Songs – Year-End 2014". Billboard. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- "American single certifications – The Pretty Reckless – Heaven Knows". Recording Industry Association of America. April 5, 2018. Retrieved April 9, 2018. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Heaven Knows (2014) | The Pretty Reckless". 7digital (CA). Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Heaven Knows (2014) | The Pretty Reckless". zdigital (Australia). Archived from the original on March 20, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Heaven Knows: The Pretty Reckless: MP3-Downloads" (in German). Amazon.de. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Heaven Knows (2014) | The Pretty Reckless". 7digital (IrelandE). Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Heaven Knows: The Pretty Reckless: Téléchargements MP3" (in French). Amazon.fr. Retrieved July 27, 2016.