Heavy in Your Arms
|"Heavy in Your Arms"|
|Single by Florence and the Machine|
|from the album The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|Released||15 November 2010|
|Florence and the Machine singles chronology|
"Heavy in Your Arms" is a song by English indie rock band Florence and the Machine, taken from the soundtrack to the 2010 film The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. Written by Florence Welch and Paul Epworth, the song was released as a single on 15 November 2010. It is also included on the re-release of the band's debut album, Lungs (2009).
Welch declared on her website about the inspiration for the song:
'Heavy In Your Arms' I suppose is about the weight of love, and how sometimes it can be a burden between two people. I felt this was a strong theme in the Twilight series—is someone being rescued or are they being condemned, and is the love you carry bringing you down? I recorded it with Paul one evening, using a lot of strange reversed vocal samples and big hip hop piano. It's basically inspired by 90's hip hop, and gospel choirs, like most of my songs.
"Heavy in Your Arms" received widespread critical acclaim. Nima Baniamer of Contactmusic.com gave the song five stars writing, "With lingering vocals and an eerie melody, this track goes beyond the supernatural to create something purely magical. Halloween may have just passed us by, but prepare to get goosebumps by this one." Dara Hickley of Unreality Shout also gave the song five stars writing, "'Heavy In Your Arms' is easily one of Florence's best singles (and album tracks) to date, marrying sinister samples and twisted lyricism to make a perfectly gothic love song, but also managing to retain sentiment and desperation through her vocal performance." Ed Nightingale of The Gizzle Review commented that "the constant build towards the final chorus is perfectly pitched. Once it hits, Florence's voice soars over haunting harmonies and all the song's elements pull together." Nightingale awarded the song four stars out of five. Mayer Nissim of Digital Spy gave the song another five-star rating, calling it a "brooding mix of dark samples, twisted choirs and piano back Welch's almost spoken-word verses, leading up to truly ear-shattering choruses which sound unlike anything else in the charts right now", while naming it the band's "best single to date".
- Digital download
- "Heavy in Your Arms" – 4:45
- "Heavy in Your Arms" (C-Berg Remix) – 6:38
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||59|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||53|
- "Pre-Order 'Heavy In Your Arms' From iTunes". florenceandthemachine.net. 4 November 2010. Archived from the original on 15 December 2010. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- Amabile Angermiller, Michele (16 January 2012). "Kelly Clarkson Gets Personal at Atlantic City Tour Stop: Concert Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 5 February 2016.