Heckler & Koch P11
|Place of origin||Germany|
|Weight||1,200 grams (42 oz) loaded
Battery pack 700 grams (25 oz)
|Length||200 millimetres (7.9 in)|
|Width||60 millimetres (2.4 in)|
|Cartridge||7.62×36mm, about 100 millimetres (3.9 in) long, miniature solid-fuelled rocket with fins|
|Effective firing range||30 metres (98 ft) in air,
10 to 15 metres (33 to 49 ft) underwater
|Feed system||5 rounds, each in a barrel|
|Sights||14.6 centimetres (5.7 in) between sights|
The HK P11 is a Heckler & Koch pistol designed as an underwater firearm that was developed in 1976. It has five barrels and each fires a 7.62 X 36mm dart electrically. Loading is by means of a five-round case. The design resembles that of a pepper-box firearm.
Since ordinary-shaped rounds are inaccurate and have a very short range when used underwater, this pistol fires steel darts. It has five barrels, each of which is loaded with a cartridge, giving the gun a pepper-box appearance, and it is electrically ignited from a battery pack in the pistol grip.
After firing all five cartridges, the barrel unit must be sent back to its manufacturer for reloading. It is very similar to its predecessor, the Mk 1 Underwater Defense Gun. In the past, Heckler & Koch has denied knowledge of its existence.
This firearm is somewhat bulkier than its Soviet counterpart, the SPP-1 underwater pistol, but it has five barrels, as opposed to the Soviet firearm which has four. However, the SPP-1 does not need to be sent back to the manufacturer to be reloaded.
- Germany: German commando frogmen.
- Italy: Italian Navy COMSUBIN.
- Malaysia: Pasukan Khas Laut (PASKAL) of the Royal Malaysian Navy
- United Kingdom: Special Boat Service of the British Royal Navy.
- United States: 100 units have been issued to members of U.S. Special operations forces.
- Cawthorne, Nigel (1 March 2012). The Mammoth Book of Inside the Elite Forces. Little, Brown Book Group. p. 220. ISBN 978-1-78033-731-9.
- Neville, Leigh (31 March 2016). Guns of Special Forces 2001 – 2015. Pen and Sword. pp. 40–41. ISBN 978-1-4738-8102-0.
- Walter, John (2005). Guns Of The Elite Forces. Frontline Books. p. 115. ISBN 978-1-85367-637-6.
- Dockery, Kevin (2004). Weapons of the Navy SEALs. New York: Berkley. p. 68. ISBN 0-425-19834-0.
- Southby-Tailyour, Ewen (2005). Jane's Special Forces Recognition Guide. New York: Collins. p. 366. ISBN 0-00-718329-1.
- "Straight Dope Staff Report: How far can bullets go when fired into water?". The Straight Dope. Archived from the original on 2008-03-27. Retrieved 2008-03-28.
- Dan, Alex (9 February 2016). "PASKAL Malaysian Special Forces Weapons". Military Factory (Small Arms). Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "SBS Weapons - HK P11 Underwater Pistol". Elite UK Forces. Retrieved 2008-03-28.