Location in Pope County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (6 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||719 ft (219 m)|
|• Density||220/sq mi (84.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0077156|
Hector is located at (35.463094, -92.979069).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 6.0 km2 (2.3 sq mi) 6.0 km2 (2.3 sq mi) of it is land and 0.43% is water.
The community was named for President Grover Cleveland's dog by the President himself when postal officials grew frustrated with the residents' indecision on whether to name the community Avondale or The Plain.
As of the census of 2000, there were 506 people, 190 households, and 143 families residing in the town. The population density was 84.6/km² (219.5/mi²). There were 219 housing units at an average density of 36.6/km² (95.0/mi²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.64% White, 0.99% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.20% Pacific Islander, 0.59% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. 2.57% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 190 households out of which 39.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.9% were married couples living together, 14.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.7% were non-families. 22.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the town the population was spread out with 30.4% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 108.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,250, and the median income for a family was $36,375. Males had a median income of $29,063 versus $18,750 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,432. About 9.1% of families and 11.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.7% of those under age 18 and 10.3% of those age 65 or over.
Public education of elementary and secondary school students is provided by the Hector School District, including:
- Hector Elementary School, serving prekindergarten through grade 6.
- Hector High School, serving grades 7 through 12.
- Glenn Simpson Pound, educator and acting Chancellor of University of Wisconsin–Madison, was born in Hector.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Hector has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Deane, Ernie (1986). Arkansas Place Names. Branson, Missouri: The Ozarks Mountaineer. p. 83.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Hector, Arkansas