Hector Og Maclean, 13th Chief
|Hector Og Maclean, 13th Clan Chief|
|13th Clan Chief
9th Laird of Duart
1568-1573 (5 years)
|Preceded by||Hector Mor Maclean, 12th Clan Chief|
|Succeeded by||Sir Lachlan Mor Maclean, 14th Chief|
|Spouse(s)||Janet Campbell, daughter of Archibald Campbell, 4th Earl of Argyll|
|Children||Sir Lachlan Mor Maclean|
|Parents||Hector Mor Maclean, 12th Clan Chief|
Hector Og Maclean, or Eachann Óg Maclean in Scottish Gaelic, or Hector Maclean the Younger (c. 1540-1573) was the 13th Chief of Clan MacLean. At the death of his father, Hector Mor Maclean, 12th Chief, he became clan chief but lived only five years longer than his father.
He was born around 1540. At the death of his father, Hector Mor Maclean, 12th Chief, Hector Og became clan chief.
During which short period he not only spent, by his improvident conduct and profligacy, all the money left by the late noble chief, but burdened the estates with debt. He appears to have inherited nothing of the qualities which distinguished his father, but lived at peace in the free enjoyment of his pleasures. He was the only worthless chief of MacLean. He appears to have built for himself a residence at Iona, situated near the head of Port-a-Churraich, where traces of the house are extant.
Marriage and children
- Sir Lachlan Mor Maclean, his heir and successor
- Mary Maclean, married to Angus MacDonald, 8th of Dunnyveg
- Janet Maclean, married to Roderick MacLeod of Lewis
- Marian Maclean, married to Hector Roy Maclean, 5th Laird of Coll
Hector died during the latter part of 1573, or the beginning of 1574.
- MacLean, John Patterson (1889). A History of the Clan MacLean from Its First Settlement at Duard Castle, in the Isle of Mull, to the Present Period: Including a Genealogical Account of Some of the Principal Families Together with Their Heraldry, Legends, Superstitions, etc. R. Clarke & Company.
- Roberts, John Leonard (1999). Feuds, Forays and Rebellions. Edinburgh University Press. ISBN 0-7486-6244-8.
Lachlan Mor MacLean was the nephew of the fifth Earl of Argyll, since his father Hector Og MacLean had married Argyll's sister Janet, daughter of Archibald Campbell, the fourth Earl.