|Meaning||toponymic; literally "Head of the fort"|
|Region of origin||India|
|Language(s) of origin||Sanskrit|
The word "Hegade" is derived from the words "hegg" ("head") and "gaḍ" ("fort"); thus, it means "head of the fort".
During the period of the Vijayanagara Empire, the warriors who used to protect a fort were called Hegades or Hegdes. It was also a title used by the Bunt chieftains and other village heads. Hegde is also used as a surname by the Madhwas and Havyaka Brahmins. The surname also occurs among some Ramakshatriya (Kotegar) in Udupi, Kundapur region and Vokkaligas (in Shimoga). The surname is also used by Kurubas of Mandya and Mysore. Hegde is also the name of a village in Kumta, Karnataka.
The following is a list of notable people with last name Hegde.
- Belle Monappa Hegde, Indian medical scientist, educationist and author
- K. S. Hegde, former Speaker of the Lok Sabha
- N. Santosh Hegde, former justice of the Supreme Court Of India
- Pakhi Hegde, Indian actress
- Pooja Hegde, Indian model and actress
- Ganesh Hegde, choreographer
- Ramakrishna Hegde, Indian politician
- Satya Hegde, cinematographer
- Tanvi Hegde, Indian actress
Sanjay Hegde, Senior Advocate - Supreme Court and constitutional expert.
- Samyukta Hegde, Indian actress
|This page lists people with the surname Hegde. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
- "Hegde Family History". Oxford University Press. Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press.