Hei Ling Chau
Hei Ling Chau (Chinese: 喜靈洲, lit. "Island of Happy Healing"/"Joyful Soul"), formerly Hayling Chau, is an island of Hong Kong, located east of Silver Mine Bay and Chi Ma Wan of Lantau Island. It is administratively part of the Islands District.
Hei Ling Chau is located south of Peng Chau and north of Cheung Chau. Its companion, Sunshine Island, is at its northeast. It has an area of 1.93 km², and the highest hill heighted 187m. The island is L-shaped with angle pointed northeast. Southwest water of the island is zoned as Hei Ling Chau Typhoon Shelter.
The island was originally named Nai Gu Island (尼姑洲). It was settled at the end of the 19th century, and by 1951, there were 10 families numbering about 100 people on the island. It was designated as a leper colony in 1950 and the islanders were relocated to Tai Pak, Shap Long and Cheung Chau. The island was then renamed to Hei Ling Chau. At one time in the early 1960s, the leprous hospital reached a maximum of 540 patients. The colony was closed down in 1974, and remaining patients were relocated to the new Lai Chi Kok Hospital. The island was subsequently taken over by the Correctional Services Department.
Hei Ling Chau Addiction Treatment Centre occupies the north-western part of the island and students often get a chance to visit the island by joining preventive drug education programs. The eastern part, on the other end, hosted medium-security Hei Ling Chau Correctional Institute and mid-northern minimum security Lai Sun Correctional Institution. The Hei Ling Chau Addiction Treatment Centre(Annex) is located at the southest[clarification needed] end of the Island. Lai Sun Correctional Institution is the first Vocational Training Centre in the Correctional Services Department that aims to train inmates develop useful and market-oriented vocational skills before re-integrated into the society.
In 2004, the Hong Kong Government proposed to spend HK$12 billion to build a super jail on the island. The proposal was strongly opposed by the general public and experts alike, and thus has been shelved indefinitely.
- A Commercial Scale Wind Turbine Pilot Demonstratrion at Hei Ling Chau. EIA Report. November 2006
- Survey and Mapping Office, Lands Department: Hong Kong geographic data sheet
- "A Commercial Scale Wind Turbine Pilot Demonstration at Hei Ling Chau". www.epd.gov.hk. Retrieved 2016-04-15.
- Beolens B, Watkins M, Grayson M. 2011. The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Bogadek", p. 30).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hei Ling Chau.|
- Hei Ling Chau Correctional Institution
- Environmental concern of the super jail (WWF HK)
- Aerial image from Google Map
- Restricted Islands - TV program by the Radio Television Hong Kong on Shek Kwu Chau and Hei Ling Chau
- Memories of Hong Kong's last leper colony