This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands|
|Genres||Folk metal, Viking metal, heavy metal|
|Associated acts||Arkona, Thronar, Slechtvalk, Týr|
Joost den Vellenknotscher
|Past members||Kevin Storm|
Heidevolk is a folk metal band from the Netherlands. The lyrical themes of their music are inspired by nature, the history of Gelderland, and the history of Germanic mythology. Most of their lyrics are in Dutch; however, since their album Velua they also have one original English song, "Vinland", and several English covers.
Heidevolk was founded under the name Hymir in 2002 by six men. The name was changed to Heidevolk (Dutch for 'heath-folk' or 'heather folk') inspired by the Veluwe landscape. In contrast to popular belief, in the Dutch Language their name cannot be translated to 'Pagan Folk'. Pagan is translated to Dutch as "heiden". The band started performing live in 2003. Since then the band has released one demo, five full-length studio albums, and one EP.
Their third album, Uit oude grond, (Dutch for 'From old ground'), was released to generally positive critical acclaim, with one writer calling the album "A hugely enjoyable release combining aggressive metallic riffage with tastefully-entwined traditional folk instrumentation and melody".
Vocalists Mark Bockting and Joris Boghtdrincker have contributed vocals to the Arkona song titled "Na Moey Zemle" (На моей земле) ('In My Land'). This track also features vocalists from Månegarm of Sweden, Obtest of Lithuania, Menhir of Germany, and Skyforger of Latvia. Each sings in their native language, playing the role of warriors from that region describing their homeland to a traveler.
- De strijdlust is geboren (2005)
- Wodan heerst (EP, 2007)
- Walhalla wacht (2008)
- Uit oude grond (2010)
- Batavi (2012)
- Velua (2015)
- Vuur van verzet (2018)
- "Nehalennia" (2010)
- "Als de dood weer naar ons lacht" (2012)
- "Urth" (2015)
- "Winter woede" (2015)
- "A Wolf In My Heart" (2019)
- Lars Vogel (Lars Nachtbraeker)- vocals (2013–present)
- Jacco de Wijs (Jacco Bühnebeest)- vocals (2015–present)
- Koen Romeijn (Koen Vuurdichter)- guitar (2015 – present)
- Rowan Middelwijk (Rowan Roodbaert) – bass guitar (2006 – present)
- Joost Westdijk (Joost den Vellenknotscher) – drums (2002 – present)
- Joris Boghtdrincker – vocals (2002–2013)
- Jesse Vuerbaert (Ohtar) – vocals (2002–2005)
- Niels Beenkerver – Guitar (2002–2005)
- Paul Braadvraat – bass guitar (2002–2006)
- Sebas van Eldik (Sebas Bloeddorst) – guitar (2002–2011)
- Reamon Bomenbreker – guitar (2005-2015)
- Mark Splintervuyscht – vocals (2005-2015)
- Stefanie Speervrouw – violin (2007–2008)
- Uit Oude Grond review on OneMetal.com Archived 2010-04-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Eck, Markus (2009). "Arkona - Goi Rode Goi". Sonic Seducer (in German). No. 11. Archived from the original on 2013-02-11.
- "Heidevolk - Biography - Metal Storm". www.metalstorm.net. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Heidevolk "Batavi" Release Date: 02 Mar 2012 / 06 Mar 2012 (US) Archived 15 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine napalmrecords.com. Retrieved on 11 January 2012.
- Heidevolk band member info @ Official site Archived 2008-04-30 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Heidevolk.|