Heidi Hayes Jacobs
Dr. Heidi Hayes Jacobs (born October 4, 1948) is an author and internationally recognized education leader known for her work in curriculum mapping, curriculum integration, and developing 21st century approaches to teaching and learning.
Jacobs is President of Curriculum Designers, Inc. and Executive Director of the Curriculum Mapping Institute. She works as an education consultant with schools and districts K–12 on issues and practices pertaining to: curriculum reform, instructional strategies to encourage critical thinking, and strategic planning.
Dr. Heidi Hays Jacobs was born on October 4, 1948.
She completed her doctoral work at Columbia University’s Teachers College in 1981. She received her master's degree from the UMass at Amherst; her undergraduate studies were at the University of Utah in her hometown of Salt Lake City.
Active Literacy Across the Curriculum: Strategies for Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening, Larchmont, NY. April 2006.
Jacobs is President of Curriculum Designers, Inc., and Co-founder and Executive Director, of the Curriculum Mapping Institute. She has taught in the Department of Curriculum and Teaching, at Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, from 1981 to the present. She is a co-founder of The Hollingworth Center also at Teachers College, Columbia University.
Dr, Jacobs has consulted with a wide range of organizations including: the College Board, NBC's Sunday Today Show, Children’s Television Workshop, CBS National Sunrise Semester, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development ASCD, IBM EduQuest, The Discovery Channel, Tapestry Productions, The Kennedy Center, Carnegie Council on Adolescent Development, New York City Ballet Education Department at the Lincoln Center, the Peace Corps, the National School Conference Institute, the Disney Company, Prentice-Hall Publishing, the Near East School Association based in Athens, Greece, International Baccalaureate, the European Council of International Schools, and state education departments.
Interviews and features on Jacobs have appeared in: The New York Times, Educational Leadership, Child Magazine, Sunburst Communications video on Successful Middle Schools, and National Public Radio "Talk of the Nation" Broadcast. Dr. Jacobs has published curriculum materials with Prentice Hall, Milton-Bradley, the Electric Company, and Bowmar Publishing. Video Journal of Education features a series on her work, in addition, two other video series developed by ASCD focus on Dr. Jacobs’ curriculum models. PBS features two of her courses for teachers, "Curriculum Mapping" by Heidi Hayes Jacobs I & II, in their professional development program, PBS TeacherLine, delivered on-line.
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes. Mapping the Big Picture: Integrating Curriculum and Assessment K–12. ASCD, Alexandria, VA 1997.
- http://www.tc.columbia.edu/centers/mssc/heidihayesjacobs.htm[bare URL]
- "Curriculumdesigners – Meine Sportwetten Laufbahn". Archived from the original on 2019-01-24. Retrieved 2022-04-24.
- http://elmsd.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/elmsford-news-ltr-3-07-f.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes. "Designing With Rigor: Crafting Interdisciplinary High School Curricula." The High School Magazine, Vol. 4 #3, March/April, 1997.
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes."A Case for Multiple Configurations", Educational Horizons, October, 1988.
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes and Borland, James H. "The Interdisciplinary Concept Model: Theory and Practice" Gifted Child Quarterly, Fall 1986, pp. 159–163.
- "Bold Moves for Schools: How We Create Remarkable Learning Environments".
- "Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World".
- "The Curriculum Mapping Planner: Templates, Tools, and Resources for Effective Professional Development".
- "Education: Eye On Education - Routledge".
- Barnes & Noble. "Getting Results with Curriculum Mapping". Barnes & Noble.
- "Mapping the Big Picture: Integrating Curriculum and Assessment K-12". Archived from the original on 2010-12-06. Retrieved 2009-02-27.
- "Interdisciplinary Curriculum".
- "Cmi2009.com". Archived from the original on 2018-03-25. Retrieved 2022-04-24.
- http://www.tc.columbia.edu/admissions/catalog-archives/0405/pdf/SPECIAL%20FACULTY.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "The Hollingworth Center | Teachers College Columbia University".
- Klein, Julie Thompson Interdisciplinary Education K–12 and College: A Foundation for K-16 Dialogue. College Board Publications, New York, NY. 2002
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes. “Creating a Timely Curriculum: A Conversation with Dr. Heidi Hayes Jacobs”. ASCD Educational Leadership. Dec. 2003/Jan. 2004. pp. 12 – 17.
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes: “Connecting Curriculum Mapping and Technology: Digital Forms Aid Data Analysis and Decision Making” ASCD Curriculum Technology Quarterly. Vol. 12, No. 3. Spring 2003.
- Carnegie Council on Adolescent Development. Turning Points: Preparing American Youth for the 21st Century. Washington, D.C. Carnegie Corporation of New York 1989.
- "NESA Online - WTI09 - Jacobs&McTighe". Archived from the original on 2010-02-10. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes. An Interview with Dr. Heidi Hayes Jacobs. NAIS. Independent School Magazine. Fall 2001. pp: 18-22.
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes. “The Teacher as Designer: Integrating the Curriculum.” ECIS International Schools Journal. Vol. 18, No. 1. November, 1998. Pp. 22–33.
- Applied Academics: Modernizing Vocational Education. (1990, March). Columbus, OH: Department of Education, Division of Vocational and Career Education.
- Connecticut State Department of Education. Celebration of Excellence: Curriculum Projects from the Awards Program (1986–1990)
- "SPECIAL REPORT - Winning Game Plans - NYTimes.com". 6 January 1991.
- "IN THE SCHOOLS - A Day to Trade News On Hirings and Views - NYTimes.com". 7 December 2003.
- "Elite Public High Schools". NPR.org. 17 March 1998.
- Jacobs, Heidi Hayes. “Redefining Assessment”, Social Studies handbook on Alternative Assessment, Prentice hall, Boston, MA 1997.
- "School Improvement Network".
- "Curriculum Mapping: Charting the Course for Content DVD and Facilitator's Guide".
- "Curriculum Mapping I by Heidi Hayes Jacobs : Course : PBS TeacherLine". PBS.
- Perkins-Gough, Deborah (2003). Creating a timely curriculum: a conversation with Heidi Hayes Jacobs [Electronic version]. Educational Leadership, 61(4), 12-17 (interview).