Dutch bottle (left) and export bottle (right)
|Country of origin||Netherlands|
|Alcohol by volume||5.4%|
|Original gravity||1.044–1.048|
|IBU scale||23|
|Related products||Heineken Oud Bruin
Heineken Premium Light
Heineken Lager Beer (Dutch: Heineken Pilsener), or simply Heineken (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɦɛinəkən]), is a pale lager beer with 5% alcohol by volume produced by the Dutch brewing company Heineken International. Heineken is well known for its signature green bottle and red star.
On February 15, 1864 Gerard Adriaan Heineken (1841-1893) got his wealthy mother to buy De Hooiberg (The Haystack) brewery in Amsterdam, a popular working-class brand founded in 1592. In 1873 after hiring a Dr. Elion (student of Louis Pasteur) to develop Heineken-A Yeast for Bavarian bottom fermentation, the HBM (Heineken's Bierbrouwerij Maatschappij) was established, and the first Heineken brand beer was brewed. In 1875 Heineken won the Medaille D'Or at the International Maritime Exposition in Paris, then began to be shipped there regularly, after which Heineken sales topped 64,000 hectolitres (1.7 million U.S. gallons), making them the biggest beer exporter to France.
In Heineken's early years, the beer won four awards:
- Medaille d'Or (Gold Medal) at the International Maritime Exhibition (International Exhibition of Marine and River Industries) in Paris in May 1875.
- Diplome d'Honneurs (Honorary Diploma) at the International Colonial Exposition in Amsterdam in 1883.
- Grand Prix (Grand Prize) at the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1889.
- Hors Concours Membre du Jury in Paris in 1900.
Since 1975 most Heineken brand beer has been brewed at their brewery in Zoeterwoude, Netherlands. In 2011 2.74 billion liters of Heineken brand beer were produced worldwide, while the total beer production of all breweries fully owned by the Heineken Group over all brands was 16.46 billion liters globally. Sold in more than 170 countries, Heineken is the world's most international premium beer. It has been incorporated with numerous beer brands from different countries all over the world including, Mexico, China, and Africa.
- In 2014 Heineken celebrated its 150th anniversary.
- In 2015 Heineken won the Creative Marketer of the Year Award, becoming the second company to win the award twice.
The original brewery where Gerard Adriaan Heineken first started making Heineken is now the Heineken Experience Museum.
- "Heineken geschiedenis". heineken.nl/. Retrieved 28 April 2007.
- "Realbeer.com". Retrieved 31 Oct 2015.
- "Heineken®". heineken.com.
- "History of Heineken" (PDF). dwcomm.com.
- "Get the facts". Heineken International. Retrieved 1 May 2007.
- The Monthly Chronicle of Lore and Legend, 1887
- "Our History". theheinekencompany. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "Annual Report 2011". Heineken International. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Holland Pass." Heineken Experience. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Heineken.|