Heineken Green Room in Singapore
Heineken Green Room in Singapore is an exclusive gathering of music aficionados that includes a series of one-night only events that are held in unique and non-traditional clubbing venues. Some of the featured acts in the past have included the likes of UNKLE, Fila Brazillia, Gang Starr, Thievery Corporation, Peter Kruder, The Cuban Brothers, The Rakes, Moderat, Gaslamp Killer, Ikonika and Jamie Woon.
Heineken, an active participant in Singapore's music scene since 2000, started the Heineken Green Room programme in 2002 to bring together people with a passion for unique music and nightlife experiences.
The aim of the Heineken Green Room is to provide a platform for attendees to explore new music dimensions with fresh music performances.
Heineken Green Room events
Heineken Green Room events are by-invitation-only. The highlight of each event is the type of music that is showcased, and the way the artistes perform and engage with their audiences. Attendees include Heineken Green Room members, special invitees & members of the media.
A total of 20 unique events have been organised to date in Singapore, with the latest event on 21 October 2011.
- Jamie Woon and Ikonika
- 21 October 2011
- Heineken Green Room members joined UK artists Jamie Woon and Ikonika, as well as Heineken Green Room Sound Council member, Cherry Chan and fellow DJ Izaak Stern to re-engineer the essence of music. Held at the old Kallang Airport, the venue was transformed into a top-secret gene research facility where laser lights and staff in lab coats and goggles completed the scene as over 1800 partied on.
- Robag Whrume and Superpitcher
- 13 November 2010
- Enthusiasts were invited to step into a world of pixels and indulge in the 8-Bit Blitz that Heineken brought with its last Heineken Green Room event for the year. Themed "8-Bit Blitz", the event was held on 13 November 2010 at the former Kallang Theatre and was helmed by German maestros of minimal techno, Robag Wruhme and Superpitcher. Heineken Green Room Sound Council member, Donovan Wong, was the opening act.
- Kode9 and Kyle Hall
- 22 May 2010
- Themed “20Hz Deep” after the lowest sound the human ear can register, this immersive music adventure, showcasing London-based electronic-music DJ / producer Kode9, a well-known innovator in the dubstep world, and Kyle Hall from Detroit, took place at 2 Orchard Link.
- The Gaslamp Killer and Tayo
- 9 December 2009
- Themed ‘Deep Down and Deadly’, Heineken Green Room transformed the former Singapore Police Coast Guard Headquarters at Kallang Basin into an underground experience with The Gaslamp Killer and Tayo.
- Moderat, Pfadfinderei and Nick Catchdubs
- 25 July 2009
- ‘Trip the Light Fantastic’, held at Tanjong Pagar Distripark, was helmed by cutting-edge German electronic act, Moderat. Supported by visual arts collective, Pfadfinderei, and Brooklyn-based DJ, Nick Catchdubs, it witnessed the largest ever Heineken Green Room in Singapore turn-out of over 1,500 attendees.
- Sinden and Act Yo Age
- 17 April 2009
- Headlined by London DJ-Producer, Sinden, and supported by Australian duo, Act Yo Age, this event at the Singapore F1 Pit Building immersed guests in a unique garage-party experience, merging modern eclectic sounds with the grungy feel of an old-school parking lot gig.
- The Rakes
- 27 March 2008
- For one night only, Zouk was transformed into a London London Underground station to commemorate a ‘live’ performance and DJ set by UK indie band, The Rakes.
- Jimpster and Justin Martin (Buzzin’ Fly)
- 20 June 2007
- A one-time only ‘Buzzin’ Fly’ experience awaited Heineken Green Room members and invited guests at the National Museum of Singapore, where two of Buzzin’ Fly’s champions, Jimpster and Justin Martin, hit the decks.
- Chicks on Speed
- 16 November 2006
- Munich’s electronic pop / multimedia trio, Chicks on Speed, weaved a unique mixture of punk / new wave, electronica and pop, while Heineken Green Room members, who besides flexing artistic muscle by adding their own touches to blank canvases placed throughout Zouk, put on accessories provided at the door to dress themselves in their best ‘Chicks on Speed’ style.
- The Cuban Brothers
- 1 June 2006
- Inspired by Cuban historical fact and mythology, this event at Zouk took an experimental twist with the introduction of new-wave comic musicians, The Cuban Brothers, whose performance combined music with riotous comedy and sensational dancing.
- Gang Starr Foundation
- 18 March 2006
- DJ Premier and Big Shug of underground New York hip hop group, Gang Starr Foundation infused the Helipad @ Harbourfront with jazz-rap beats and hip hop sounds, in line with Heineken’s creative concept of ‘Explore a Different Space’.
- Tortured Soul and Patrick Forge
- 15 September 2005
- Featuring an intriguing concept: ‘The New Old’, this event at Zouk brought Heineken Green Room members back into the past, interpreted through modern eyes, and featured the combined musical talent of red-hot New York band, Tortured Soul, and veteran DJ-producer, Patrick Forge.
- Thievery Corporation
- 29 September 2004
- Demonstrating their ability to merge divergent musical styles to create an entirely new genre, Thievery Corporation transformed Velvet Underground into an Aladdin’s cave of musical spoils.
- Peter Kruder (Kruder & Dorfmeister)
- 2 June 2004
- Heineken Green Room had the rare honour of hosting Peter Kruder, one of the pioneers of the downbeat and Trip hop movement, at Velvet Underground.
- 3 March 2004
- Best known for being highly experimental and having a debut album that changed the electronic and Hip hop music scene, UNKLE, made up of James Lavelle and Richard File, played at Velvet Underground.
- Steve Cobby (Fila Brazilia)
- 26 November 2003
- Steve Cobby from the much-celebrated Fila Brazilia, widely known as being on the forefront of the eclectic dance scene, headlined this event at Velvet Underground.
- Roy Davis Jr.
- 30 July 2003
- Roy Davis Jr., the world-famous DJ-vocalist and pioneer of ‘Soul Electrica’, performed at this event at Velvet Underground.
- Norman Jay
- 19 February 2003
- Norman Jay MBE, the Godfather of Dance, performed at Velvet Underground in Singapore and produced an exciting array of rare grooves, funk, house and hip hop beats.
- 1 August 2002
- Highly respected DJ-percussionist and Acid Jazz legend, Snowboy, brought his infectious Acid Jazz to Phuture in Singapore.
The Heineken Green Room Membership
The Heineken Green Room membership entitles members to receive invitations to exclusive Heineken Green Room events and other Heineken-supported events, as well as special discounts and privileges with retail and lifestyle partners: Chocolate Research Facility, EpiCentre, Fred Perry, Hansel, Stereolab, X MINI and Zouk.
Interested music enthusiasts can log on to www.heineken.com.sg/greenroom for more information, and to attempt to qualify for a Heineken Green Room membership.
The Heineken Green Room Sound Council
In March 2008, the Heineken Green Room in Singapore took on a new approach with the establishment of the Heineken Green Room Sound Council, a collaboration with some of the foremost opinion leaders in the Singapore music scene to further cultivate and elevate cutting-edge music experiences.
Currently, the Heineken Green Room Sound Council members are:
- Cherry Chan 
- Daniel Sassoon 
- Donovan Wong 
- Ginette Chittick 
- Tracy Phillips
- Vijay Singh 
- The brewing of culture TODAY Online
- Chat: Superpitcher JUICE SINGAPORE ONLINE
- Award-winning Heineken Green Room returns I-S Magazine Online
- Heineken Green Room presents dub DJ KODE9 AsiaOne.com
- 20Hz Deep: Heavy beats and tripping visuals CNNGo.com
- Heineken delivers with Green Room CEI
- Heineken Green Room feat. The Gaslamp Killer (USA) & Tayo (UK) Eventful
- Heineken Green Room's invite only party fantastic Plush
- Heineken Green Room Taking the party to Tanjong Pagar Distripark LifestyleAsia.com
- Heineken Green Room feat. Moderat JUICE Magazine Singapore
- Heineken Green Room event 2009 SingaporeSights.com
- Heineken Green Room featuring Sinden (UK) and Act Yo Age (Aus) Time Out Singapore
- Last Chance To Jam With The Rakes 88DB.com
- Heineken Green Room Membership Card SOFT