|Origin||St Paul, Minnesota, United States|
|Years active||1997 – present|
Razor & Tie|
The band's first releases (Live from the Studio and Antidisestablishmetabolism) are out-of-print, though a compilation featuring songs from them was released as 10 Years Strong in December 2007. Their self-titled album "Heiruspecs," was released on December 13, 2008. On April 22, 2014 the band released "Night Falls."
The band is mostly known for their live performances. In contrast to many contemporary hip hop groups that use sampling and turntables, Heiruspecs emphasize a raw, live sound, their roots and local scene. They have also been known to do shows with Minnesota-local hip hop label Rhymesayers Entertainment. They have a very upbeat sound and are typically on tour for at least half of the year. The group style has been compared to the live hip hop band The Roots.
Heiruspecs formed in 1997 when the members were attending St. Paul Central High School. They met while taking a studio recording arts program there. Sean (Twinkie Jiggles) would play bass while four or five drummers would rotate in and out of freestyle sessions, and Felix would rhyme throughout the whole process. Early Heiruspecs music contained trombone and saxophone, but these were absent on Small Steps and A Tiger Dancing. In 2004 Heiruspecs was named the best live artist in the Twin Cities by City Pages.
Heiruspecs took an unofficial hiatus after their tour van was totaled in 2005.
The most recent Heiruspecs recording, "Heiruspecs," was released on December 13, 2008.
In summer 2010, the band was in the studio working on a new album.
Members and Former Members
- Felix (Chris Wilbourn) - Vocals
- Muad'dib (Jon Harrison) - Vocals, Beat Box
- Twinkie Jiggles (Sean McPherson) - Bass
- dVRG (DeVon Gray) - Keyboards
- Peter Leggett - Drums
- Josh Peterson - Guitar
- Martin Devaney - Saxophone
- Bryan Alvarez - Trombone
- Alex Oftelie - Drums
- Al McIntosh - Trumpet
- Steve McPherson - Guitar
- Kevin Hunt - Drums
- Conor Meehan - Drums
- Tasha Baron - Keyboards
- Alex Danovitch - Keys
- Joshua Herbst - Drums
- Brett Bullion - Drums
- Noah Paster - Percussion, 808 pad
- Tim Glenn - Drums
- Live From The Studio (1998)
- Antidisestablishmetabolism (2000)
- Small Steps (2002)
- A Tiger Dancing (2004)
- Heiruspecs (2008)
- Night Falls (2014)
- 10 Years Strong (2007)
- Carlson, Keri (September 23, 2004). "Back to the future". The Minnesota Daily. Archived from the original on 2008-03-15. Retrieved 2007-10-22.
- Nishimoto, Dan (30 March 2005) "An Interview with Felix of the Heiruspecs" PopMatters
- Harris, Keith (August 2, 2000), "Funk Is Instrumental" Archived 2007-08-15 at Archive.is City Pages
- Tatasciore, David (October 27, 2003), "Underground hip-hop sound of Heiruspecs invades area" The Daily Collegian
- "BEST LIVE ARTIST: Heiruspecs" 2004. City Pages
- Wheat, Mark (December 21, 2007),"Heiruspecs perform in The Current studios" Minnesota Public Radio
- "Minneapolis hip-hop heavies Heiruspecs end their hiatus". Archived from the original on 2008-12-06.
- Chris, Opposition. "Heiruspecs in the Studio 2010 on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 2010-10-06.