Hekou Yao Autonomous County
Hekou Yao Autonomous County
Hekou border crossing
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||1,313 km2 (507 sq mi)|
|• Density||61/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (CST)|
The Hekou Yao Autonomous County (simplified Chinese: 河口瑶族自治县; traditional Chinese: 河口瑤族自治縣; pinyin: Hékǒu Yáozú Zìzhìxiàn) is an autonomous county in the southern part of the Yunnan province of China. It is part of the Honghe Hani and Yi Autonomous Prefecture and borders the northern Vietnamese city of Lào Cai. It was apparently known as Zhongcheng (Chinese: 忠誠州; pinyin: Zhōngchéng Zhōu) during the Tang dynasty.
The Hekou County Gazetteer (1994) lists the following ethnic groups.
- Hongtou Yao 红头谣 (autonyms: Mian 棉, Meng 孟, Dongban Heiyou 洞斑黑尤, meaning "Yao person")
- Landian Yao 兰綻瑶 (autonyms: Xiu 秀, Xiumen 秀门, Men 门, Houmen 喉闷)
- White Yao 白线瑶 (autonyms: Heiyou Meng 黑尤蒙, Gengmen 耿闷, Jingdi Men 敬底闷, meaning Mountain Top Yao person 山上瑶人
- Sha Yao 沙瑶 (autonyms: Heiyou Meng 黑尤蒙, Gengwan Men 耿晚闷, meaning Mountain Bottom Yao person 山底瑶人
First established in 1992, Hekou Border Economic Cooperation Zone is a border zone approved by State Council in China to promote trade between China and Vietnam. It has a planned area of 4.02 square kilometers. The zone implemented several policies to serve its clients in China from various industries and sectors including investment, trade, finance, taxation, immigration, etc.
There are bus route to all destinations within Yunnan, including an overnight sleeper service from Kunming. More destinations can be reached by transfer in Mengzi.
There is a highway linking Xinjie, a town in Hekou County, with Lào Cai Province in northern Vietnam. It opened in February 2008 and marked the completion of the first highway linking Yunnan with a neighboring country from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
The 56.3 kilometer, 3.58 billion yuan Xinhe highway is one of the numerous infrastructure projects that will increase connectivity between Yunnan and ASEAN and facilitate the transport of people and goods between the two regions, which are expecting to see a major increase in tourism and trade in the coming years.
In December 2014, the last section (Mengzi–Hekou) of the new standard-gauge Kunming-Hekou Railway was completed. It ends at the new Hekou North Railway Station, which is also connected by narrow-gauge tracks to the old railway, in order to facilitate cargo movement between China and Vietnam.
- 云南界内途程 [Chapter 1: Distances within Yunnan, 9th century]. Manshu.
- RightSite.asia | Hekou Border Economic Cooperation Zone
- Lu, Hua (陆华); Guo, Weina (郭薇娜) (2015-04-24), 昆明铁路局：国际铁路联运开启云南货运新篇章 (Kunming Railway Bureau: An international railway link opens a new chapter in Yunnan's freigh transportation)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hekou Yao Autonomous County.|
|This Yunnan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|