Helen Beresford, Baroness Decies
|Helen Vivien Beresford, Baroness Decies|
|Born||Helen Vivien Gould
January 1, 1893 (estimate)
|Died||February 3, 1931
|Cause of death||Heart attack|
|Spouse(s)||John Graham Hope de la Poer Horsley Beresford|
|Parent(s)||George Jay Gould I
|Relatives||Jay Gould, grandfather
Kingdon Gould I, brother
Jay Gould II, brother
Marjorie Gould, sister
George Jay Gould II, brother
Gloria Gould, sister
Edith Catherine Gould, sister
Helen Vivien Beresford, Baroness Decies, formerly Helen Vivien Gould (1893 – February 3, 1931) was a socialite and philanthropist. She was one of the two Jay Gould descendants to marry into European aristocracy.
Gould was the daughter of George Jay Gould I, a railroad executive; and Edith Kingdon, an actress. She married John Graham Hope de la Poer Horsley Beresford (1866–1944), the 5th Baron Decies, on February 7, 1911. John was the son of William Robert John Beresford, 3rd Baron Decies and Catherine Anne Dent. Together they had the following children:
- Eileen Vivien de la Poer Beresford (1912-?) who married Robert Alfred O'Brien
- Catherine Moya de la Poer Beresford (1913–1967) who married Patrick Herbert Bellew
- Arthur George Marcus Douglas de la Poer Beresford (1915-1992) the 6th Baron Decies
She died in February 1931 of jaundice and a heart attack in London. After her death Lord Decies married Elizabeth Wharton Drexel, the daughter of Joseph William Drexel, on May 25, 1936. He died on 31 January 1944 at age 77.
- "Lady Decies Dies at 38 in London. Former Helen Vivien Gould Was Principal in Brilliant International Wedding of 1911. Was Noted As Hostess. Her Entertaining Was a Feature of British Capital. Husband Is Distinguished Irish Peer.". New York Times. February 3, 1931. Retrieved 2007-11-26.
Lady Decies, the former Helen Vivien Gould, daughter of the late George Jay Gould of New York, died in London this morning. She had been critically ill here for several days.
- "Mr. and Mrs. G.J. Gould May Formally Announce Daughter's Engagement on Jan. 19.". New York Times. December 15, 1910. Retrieved 2009-02-02.
The engagement of the season, one interesting abroad as well as in New York, Is that of Miss Vivien Gould, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George J. Gould, and Lord Decies. While the engagement has not as yet been formally announced by the Gould family, Lord Decies, on the eve of his sailing for England, has admitted to his friends that it is true.
- "Died". Time magazine. February 16, 1931. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
Lady Helen Vivien Decies, 39, daughter and heiress of the late George Jay Gould, wife of John Graham Hope de la Poer Beresford, 5th Baron Decies, Boer War veteran; of jaundice and heart attack; in London.
- "Lord Decies dies in England at 77. Soldier, Sportsman, Friend of Taxpayer. Married Gould Heiress Here in 1911.". New York Times. February 2, 1944. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
Married Gould Heiress Here in 1911.
|This biography of a peer, peeress or noble of the United Kingdom, or one or more of its constituent countries, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|