|Born||1 December 1978|
|Labels||Maid in Sheffield|
Boulding grew up in Sheffield as part of a large of a large family of Irish descent and was introduced to music by her parents. Her uncle ran a local Irish pub, Fagans, which ran regular music sessions.
Boulding chose music over sport, coming from a high achieving sports family. Her brother Michael was an ATP-ranking tennis player before switching to football, playing in the Premier League for Aston Villa in 2002. Michael and brother Rory also played in the same team at Mansfield Town and Bradford City. Her sister Sally was a world-ranked tennis player and her other sister, Laura, played rounders for England, her youngest sister Mary worked as an assistant director on films.
She co-wrote the 911 song "The Day We Find Love" which was UK top 5 hit in 1997.
Bolding has written songs with Simon Tong (The Good, the Bad and the Queen, The Verve), Squeeze's Chris Difford and Pink Floyd's Rick Wright. She has also collaborated with songwriter Billy Steinberg . Bolding co-wrote Maybe That's What It Takes, the debut single of Alex Parks, a top five hit in the UK in 2003.
In 2007 she toured Europe with Bryan Ferry. She guests on the title track from The Orb's album The Dream, which she also co-wrote. She also performed on BBC One's evening primetime magazine show The One Show as a last-minute replacement for Rolan Bolan, who was due to perform on the show on the anniversary of his father's death. Bolan was held up in the United States, and at the suggestion of presenter Adrian Chiles, who had heard some of Helen's songs, she was invited to step in, performing Marc Bolan's "Life’s A Gas" in front of Bolan's ex Gloria Jones.
Her debut album New Red Dress was released on her own Maid in Sheffield label on 11 February 2008. She co-wrote all songs on the album with, amongst others, Phil Thornalley (of The Cure) and Martin Glover. The album was also produced by Glover (Youth). The album cover photo was taken by Bryan Adams. It was BBC Radio 2's Album of the Week prior to its release. Two singles have been taken from the album, "Breathe" and "Copenhagen".
- New Red Dress - Helen Boulding - (Maid in Sheffield) - 11 February 2008
- Calling All Angels - Helen Boulding - (Maid in Sheffield) - 16 July 2012
- "You Can Be A Hero" on album "A Dream Come True" - Becky Taylor - (EMI Classics) - 2001 - reached number 67 in UK chart & number 61 in the Japanese Chart
- "I'm Your Angel" on Album "Everything Eventually - Appleton - (Universal) - 2003
- "Maybe That's What It Takes" on album "Introduction" - Alex Parks - (Polydor Records) - 24 November 2003 - reached number 5 in the UK Chart
- "Out of Touch" on album "Honesty" - Alex Parks - (Polydor Records) - 24 October 2005 - reached number 24 in the UK Chart
- "The Dream" on album "The Dream" - The Orb - (Liquid Sound Design, Traffic Inc, Six Degrees) - 2007
- "Everything" on album "Sehnsucht" - DJ Schiller - (Universal) - 2008 - reached number 16 in the German Chart & went Platinum
- "Your Voice" on album "Here's What I Believe" - Joe Mcelderry - (Decca) - 2012 - reached number 8 in the UK chart, number 9 in the Scottish Chart & number 88 in the Irish Album Chart
- "Mayday" on album "Here's What I Believe" - Joe Mcelderry - (Decca) - 2012 - reached number 8 in the UK chart, number 9 in the Scottish Chart & number 88 in the Irish Album Chart
- "Silence Is The Loudest Cry" on album "Here's What I Believe" - Joe Mcelderry - (Decca) - 2012 - reached number 8 in the UK chart, number 9 in the Scottish Chart & number 88 in the Irish Album Chart
- "Boomerang" on Album "Cartwheels" - Ward Thomas - (Sony) - Album to be released on 9 September 2016 - reached number 1 in the UK chart
- "Housework EP" (Main Spring/Mercury) - 11 April 2005
- "I Don't Know What I Want But I Know What I Need" (Main Spring/Mercury) - 13 February 2006
- "What A Fool" (Maid in Sheffield) - 31 July 2006
- "Breathe" - (Maid in Sheffield) - 9 November 2007
- "Copenhagen" - (Maid in Sheffield) - 4 February 2008
- "It's You" - (Maid in Sheffield) - 13 October 2008 - the official track for the PDSA TV Campaign
- "The Innocents" - (Maid in Sheffield) - 8 July 2012
- "Jerusalem" - (Maid in Sheffield) - 4 November 2012
- "Crooked tooth" - (Maid in Sheffield) - 28 October 2013
- "The Day We find Love" - 911 (EMI,Virgin) - 15 February 1997 - reached number 4 in UK chart
- "You Can Be A Hero" (EMI Classics) - 2001
- "Maybe That's What It Takes" - Alex Parks - (Polydor Records) - 17 November 2003 - reached number 3 in UK chart
- "Are You The Way Home?" - Mary-Jess Leaverland - (Decca Records) - 2011