|Member of the New York City Council from the 6th District|
Assumed office |
January 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Gale Brewer|
October 24, 1960|
Michigan State University (B.A.)|
Yale University (M.P.H.)
Life and career
Rosenthal was born in Detroit, Michigan and received a B.A. in socio-economic policy and political theory from Michigan State University in 1982, and a Masters in Public Health from Yale University in 1987.
From 1988 to 1995, Rosenthal served as an Assistant Director of the New York City Office of Management and Budget, where she managed the city's healthcare budget under Mayors Ed Koch, David Dinkins, and Rudy Giuliani.
Rosenthal is a longtime member of Community Board 7, having served as Strategy and Budget Committee Chair, Vice Chair, and eventually board chair from 2007 to 2009. During this time, she advocated for additional public school seats on the Upper West Side, using data collection to dispute the city's assertion that the district had 1,500 empty school seats. This resulted in the creation of P.S. 452 in 2010.
New York City Council
In March 2012, Rosenthal announced her candidacy for District 6 of the New York City Council, whose incumbent, Gale Brewer, was term-limited out of office. Rosenthal focused her campaign on issues including public school education, affordable housing, budget expertise, and mass transit improvements. Her bid was endorsed by organizations including the Sierra Club, the National Organization for Women-NYC, and TenantsPAC, a group which advocates for rent-regulated tenants. Other supporters included Gloria Steinem, Michael Moore, former City Councilwoman Ronnie Eldridge, State Senator Liz Krueger, and State Assemblywoman Deborah Glick.
On September 10, 2013, Rosenthal won the Democratic nomination for the District 6 City Council seat, defeating six other candidates. She went on to win the November general election with 78% of the vote, and her vote total was the highest of any candidate running for City Council throughout New York City.
Pedestrian safety emerged as a key issue for Rosenthal when three pedestrians were struck and killed on the Upper West Side over a ten-day period in January 2014. She also advocates for better transportation services meeting the needs of all New Yorkers.
In 2017, Rosenthal won the Democratic primary to become the Democratic nominee, with 65% of the vote over closest competitor Mel Wymore with 31%. Rosenthal defeated Republican Candidate Hyman Drusin and Independent Candidate William Raudenbush in the general election on November 7, 2017. Rosenthal's support of a controversial school desegregation plan in her district was cited in endorsements received from The New York Times, the New York Daily News, and the Amsterdam News.
|2013 Primary election||Helen Rosenthal||Dem||7,716||26.84%||Mel Wymore||Dem||6,440||22.40%||Marc Landis||Dem||5,566||19.36%||Others (4)||Dem||9,023||32.06%|
|2013 General election||Helen Rosenthal||Dem||29,586||78.24%||Harry DeMell||Rep||4,928||13.03%||Marc Landis||WFP||2,538||6.71%||Thomas Siracuse||Gre||737||1.95%|
|2017 Primary election||Helen Rosenthal||Dem||13,060||64.8%||Mel Wymore||Dem||6,280||31.2%||Cary Goodman||Dem||805||4.0%|
|2017 General election||Helen Rosenthal||Dem||31,034||87.3%||Harry DeMell||Rep||3,581||10.1%||Marc Landis||Other||934||2.6%|
- Chen, Daphne. "Three vying for UWS City Council seat". columbiaspectator. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "About Face for DOE: District 3 Needs New School". nypress.com. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Albrecht, Leslie. "Filmmaker Michael Moore Adds Star Power to City Council Race". dnainfo.com. DNAinfo.com. Archived from the original on 27 July 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "ress Release: NOW-NYC Endorses Helen Rosenthal, Candidate For NY City Council". helenrosenthal.com. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Steiber, Zachary. "Helen Rosenthal Wins Manhattan's City Council District 6 Democratic Primary". theepochtimes.com. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "New York City Council - 2013 Election Results". nytimes.com. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Sanders, Anna (19 January 2014). "Pedestrian dies in accident less than a block from Upper West Side home". Metro. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- Gioino, Catherina; McShane, Larry (August 3, 2017). "Pols hop aboard city subways to hear commuter complaints right from the source ". New York Daily News. Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- "Councilmembers Rosenthal and Levine Soundly Defeat Democratic Challengers". DNAinfo New York. Archived from the original on 13 September 2017. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "Election Results: 2017 NY and NJ General Elections". WNYC. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- "Opinion - Democratic Primary Choices". Retrieved 19 July 2018.
- Editorials. "The Daily News' City Council picks: Manhattan - NY Daily News". Retrieved 19 July 2018.
- "New York Amsterdam News Endorsements Part One". Retrieved 19 July 2018.
| New York City Council, 6th District