Helen Stickler (born 1968) is an American designer and filmmaker, who wrote, directed and produced Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator (2003) and Andre the Giant Has a Posse (1995). In 2019, she helped to found a progressive news aggregator, Front Page Live, where she serves as Art Director.
Life and career
Stickler's early independent films include the shorts Queen Mercy and the documentary Andre the Giant has a Posse, the first documentary to discover graphic artist Shepard Fairey. In 2003, Village Voice film critic Ed Halter described the film as "legendary … a canonical study of Gen-X media manipulation. One of the keenest examinations of ‘90s underground culture".
Stickler is the producer, director, and writer of the feature film "Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator", a documentary about 80's professional skateboarding champion Mark Rogowski, who is serving life in prison for rape and murder. Los Angeles Times critic Kenneth Turan described the film as "strongly directed and unexpectedly poignant. An excellent documentary about the compelling dark side of the American dream."
In June 2019, she helped to found a progressive news aggregator, Front Page Live, together with Joe Romm, its Editor-in-Chief, Carl Cameron, Laura Dawn, Sunny Hundal and others. She serves as Art Director at Front Page Live. The same year she published the book Meme Queen.
- Helen Stickler at IMDb
- NPR interview of Stickler (2003)
- Interview of Stickler (2003)
- Stickler's political memes at Boing Boing
- Wemple, Erik. "Ex-Fox Newser Carl Cameron takes his 'unfinished business' to progressive startup", The Washington Post, June 24, 2019; and "Masthead", Front Page Live, accessed June 25, 2019
- Fairey, Shepard. Obey: Supply and Demand: The Art of Shepard Fairey, Gingko Pr (2006), p. 35 ISBN 1584232447
- Fairey, Shepard. Obey: Supply and Demand: The Art of Shepard Fairey, Gingko Pr (2006), p. 323 ISBN 1584232447
- Stickler, Helen. Meme Queen, Blurb.com (2019)
|This article about a United States film director born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|