Portrait of Helena Antonia of Liège
Helena Antonia and other courtier women
Helena Antonia was a bearded female court dwarf of Maria of Austria, Holy Roman Empress and was a favorite of Margaret of Austria, Queen of Spain, and also a lady-in-waiting for Constance of Austria. She was born in Liège.
- ^ Peterkin, Allan (2001). One Thousand Beards: A Cultural History of Facial Hair. Arsenal pulp press. p. 101. ISBN 1551521075
- ^ Ulmus, Marcus Antonius. Physiologia barbae humanae, p. 307 (1603)
- ^ Reynolds, Reginald. Beards: Their Social Standing, Religious Involvements, Decorative Possibilities, and Value Offence and Defence Through the Ages, p. 291 (1950) ("Ulmus [has] useful information, showing the royal patronage often offered to bearded ladies.... and the beared Helena Antonia, according to Ulmus (p. 307) was a special favourite of Margarita of Austria, later Queen of Spain.")
- ^ Souvenir Print of Helena Antonia, Bearded Lady at the Court of the Archduchess of Austria, Maria of Spain, waddesdon.org.uk, Retrieved 10 September 2013
- Polska. Dzieje cywilizacji i narodu - Rzeczpospolita szlachecka, s. 17