She was a Parliamentary Secretary in the Office of Prime Minister from 1996 to 1998. In that role Dalli presented a Domestic Violence Bill.
She is currently the Minister for Social Dialogue, Consumer Affairs, and Civil Liberties within the Maltese Government from 2013-2017 and from the Maltese general election, 2017. She has promoted landmark human rights and equal rights bills, including a Civil Union Bill and a Cohabitation Bill.
In April 2015, she presented a law establishing basic rights for transgender and intersex people. The Gender Identity Gender Expression and Sex Characteristics Act provides for gender recognition, and recognizes a right to bodily integrity and physical autonomy. This was the world-first such law to be implemented to protect the rights of intersex people.
Dalli was reelected in the 2017 general election. At the start of the new session, the parliament overwhelmingly voted to legalise same-sex marriage. This bill had been introduced and championed by Dalli in her capacity as equality minister.
She is married to Patrick Dalli, a figurative painter. The couple have two sons.
- "Visiting Staff". University of Malta. November 30, 2016.
- "Helena Dalli". Fundamental Rights Agency.
- Malta (April 2015), Gender Identity, Gender Expression and Sex Characteristics Act: Final version
- Reuters (1 April 2015). "Surgery and Sterilization Scrapped in Malta's Benchmark LGBTI Law". The New York Times.
- Star Observer (2 April 2015). "Malta passes law outlawing forced surgical intervention on intersex minors". Star Observer.
- Cabral, Mauro (April 8, 2015). "Making depathologization a matter of law. A comment from GATE on the Maltese Act on Gender Identity, Gender Expression and Sex Characteristics". Global Action for Trans Equality. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- OII Europe (April 1, 2015). "OII-Europe applauds Malta's Gender Identity, Gender Expression and Sex Characteristics Act. This is a landmark case for intersex rights within European law reform". Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- Carpenter, Morgan (April 2, 2015). "We celebrate Maltese protections for intersex people". Organisation Intersex International Australia. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- Transgender Europe (April 1, 2015). Malta Adopts Ground-breaking Trans and Intersex Law – TGEU Press Release.
- "Malta's Parliament Approves Gay Marriage".
- "Labour Delegates Choosing Deputy Leader Tonight".