Helena J. Nussenzveig Lopes
Helena Judith Nussenzveig Lopes is a Brazilian mathematician, known for her work on the Euler equations for incompressible flow in fluid dynamics. She is a professor titular in the Department of Mathematical Methods at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.
Education and career
Nussenzveig Lopes was born in Brazil, the daughter of physicist Herch Moysés Nussenzveig. She earned her Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley in 1991. Her dissertation, An Estimate of the Hausdorff Dimension of a Concentration Set for the 2D Incompressible Euler Equations, was jointly supervised by Ronald DiPerna and Lawrence C. Evans.
From 1992 to 2012 she belonged to the faculty of the University of Campinas. She moved to the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro as a full professor in 2012, and headed the department of mathematics there from 2014 to 2016. She also chaired the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics Activity Group on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations for 2015–2016.
In 2010 she was awarded the National Order of Scientific Merit. In 2016 she became a SIAM Fellow "for advances in analysis of weak solutions of incompressible Euler equations and for advancing applied mathematics in Brazil and internationally".. She was one of the invited speakers in the Partial Differential Equations Section of the 2018 International Congress of Mathematicians
- Helena Judith Nussenzveig Lopes, UFRJ Department of Mathematical Methods
- Helena Judith Nussenzveig Lopes, São Paulo Research Foundation, retrieved 2018-02-26
- Zorzetto, Ricardo (July 2010), "Herch Moysés Nussenzveig: Além do arco-íris" [Herch Moysés Nussenzveig: Over the rainbow], Revista Pesquisa (in Portuguese), São Paulo Research Foundation,
e seus três filhos também são pesquisadores: Helena é matemática [his three children are also researchers: Helena is a mathematician]
- Helena J. Nussenzveig Lopes at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- SIAM Fellows: Class of 2016, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, retrieved 2018-02-26