Helena Township, Michigan
Helena Township, Michigan
Location within Antrim County
|• Supervisor||Rick Teague|
|• Total||23.1 sq mi (59.7 km2)|
|• Land||16.2 sq mi (42.0 km2)|
|• Water||6.9 sq mi (17.8 km2)|
|Elevation||696 ft (212 m)|
|• Density||62/sq mi (23.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626461|
Helena Township is a civil township of Antrim County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 1,001 at the 2010 census. Helena Township was organized in 1865 by a division of Milton Township. It was named for Helena M. Thayer.
- Rapid City is to the south, and the Rapid City ZIP code 49676 serves a small area in the southwest part of the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 23.1 square miles (59.7 km2), of which 16.2 square miles (42.0 km2) is land and 6.9 square miles (17.8 km2), or 29.74%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 878 people, 408 households, and 281 families residing in the township. The population density was 54.0 per square mile (20.8/km²). There were 801 housing units at an average density of 49.3 per square mile (19.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.15% White, 0.11% African American, 0.91% Native American, 0.46% Asian, and 1.37% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.34% of the population.
There were 408 households out of which 19.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, 5.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.1% were non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.15 and the average family size was 2.57.
In the township the population was spread out with 16.6% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 21.4% from 25 to 44, 34.7% from 45 to 64, and 22.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49 years. For every 100 females, there were 104.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $40,096, and the median income for a family was $49,732. Males had a median income of $33,542 versus $22,083 for females. The per capita income for the township was $24,948. About 3.0% of families and 6.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.1% of those under age 18 and 5.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Helena Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Helena township, Antrim County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Question of the Week". The Bellaire Area Review. September 11, 2007. pp. 4A. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- 49612 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49615 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Romig 1986, p. 128.
- 49676 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6.