Heliopsis helianthoides is a species of flowering plant in the family Asteraceae, known by the common names rough oxeye, smooth oxeye and false sunflower. It is native to eastern and central North America from Saskatchewan east to Newfoundland and south as far as Texas, New Mexico, and Georgia.
Heliopsis helianthoides is a rhizomatous herbaceous perennial growing 40–150 cm (16–59 in) tall. The toothed leaf blades are oval to triangular or lance-shaped and may be smooth or hairy or rough in texture. The flowers are produced from midsummer to early autumn (fall). The inflorescence contains one to many composite flowerheads. Each head contains yellow ray florets which are generally 2–4 cm (0.8-1.6 inches) long. At the center are many yellow to brownish disc florets. The fruit is an achene about 5 mm long.
It is a popular garden plant, and several cultivars are available with flowers of varying colors and shades. These include 'Summer Sun', 'Golden Plume', and 'Prairie Sunset'. The following cultivars of H. helianthoides var. scabra ("rough") have gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit:-
- The Plant List, Heliopsis helianthoides (L.) Sweet
- "BSBI List 2007". Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- "Heliopsis helianthoides". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- Heliopsis helianthoides. USDA NRCS Plant Guide.
- Heliopsis helianthoides. Flora of North America.
- Heliopsis helianthoides. Missouri Botanical Garden, Gardening help
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- Harrison, Lorraine (2012). RHS Latin for gardeners. United Kingdom: Mitchell Beazley. p. 224. ISBN 9781845337315.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra 'Benzinggold'". Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra 'Light of Loddon'". Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra 'Spitzentänzerin'". Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra 'Waterperry Gold'". Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- CalPhotos Photo Gallery, University of California
- Photo of herbarium specimen at Missouri Botanical Garden, collected in Missouri in 2005
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Heliopsis helianthoides.|
|This Asteraceae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|