204 Pine Street|
|Height||440 feet (130 m)|
|Design and construction|
|Structural engineer||Magnusson Klemencic Associates|
|Number of units||398 apartments|
|Parking||217 parking stalls|
Helios, also known as 2nd & Pine, is a residential skyscraper in downtown Seattle, Washington. The 40-story tower is 440 feet (130 m) tall with 398 luxury apartments. Plans for the project were first proposed in 2013 and construction began in late 2014. It is located at the intersection of 2nd Avenue and Pine Street near the Pike Place Market and the city's retail core.
Architects Weber Thompson and GBD Architects, working on the project in a joint venture, described the tower's design as "slender and sculpted". It sits atop a podium, housing 3,000 square feet (280 m2) of retail space, with a terra-cotta facade. The building also includes Zipcar parking spaces, electric vehicle charging stations, bicycle parking, low-energy appliances, and other environmentally-friendly features in a bid to earn a LEED rating.
The site at 2nd Avenue and Pine Street was originally proposed for a 240-foot-tall (73 m) residential tower developed by Paul Brenneke and planned to break ground in 2006. Plans were scrapped after a new downtown zoning ordinance was approved in 2006, and a new, 23-story, $200 million mixed-use highrise named "1 Hotel & Residences" was proposed by Brenneke and Starwood Capital Group. The proposed building would have 98 luxury condominiums and a 110-room hotel as well as four floors of retail at ground level and a luxury gym. The project broke ground in 2007 and was expected to be completed in 2009, but construction was halted in September 2007 because of the then-ongoing financial crisis, and designs were revised to eliminate over 100 proposed condominium units after only 20 of them had been sold. Brenneke sold his stake in the project to Starwood in June 2008, citing the project's financial difficulties. The excavated hole was later filled in 2009 and paved over with a parking lot.
The half-block property was bought by Chicago-based Equity Residential in 2012 for $22 million, and the company announced its plans for a 39-story apartment building in January 2013. Construction of the building, led by Turner Construction, began in October 2014 and was completed in 2017.
A 16-story, 229-room hotel on the north side of the lot, facing Stewart Street, began construction in 2016 and is scheduled to be completed in February 2018.
- Rosenberg, Mike. "Record construction frenzy sweeps downtown Seattle; more building to come". seattletimes.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Helios (building) at Emporis
- "Equity starting 40-story tower with 398 apartments on Pine". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. October 1, 2014. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- "'Slender, sculpted' tower at 2nd & Pine". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Levy, Nat (April 14, 2015). "16-story hotel will share site with Equity's 40-story apartment tower". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Bishop, Todd (February 11, 2001). "Developer in talks with Saks on Second Ave. site". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Weber, Blaine (November 10, 2005). "Is Seattle ready to slim down its residential towers?". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- Martinez, Amy (November 14, 2007). "Luxury gym Equinox takes shine to Seattle". The Seattle Times. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- "Another condo project breaks ground in Seattle". Puget Sound Business Journal. June 11, 2007. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Pryne, Eric (February 29, 2008). "Downtown Seattle hotel-condo project put on hold". The Seattle Times. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Pryne, Eric (June 24, 2008). "Developer of stalled 1 Hotel sells out to partner Starwood". The Seattle Times. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Lang Jones, Jeanne (October 9, 2009). "Starwood says it will fill its Seattle excavation". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Pryne, Eric (October 13, 2009). "Starwood luxury hotel site becomes a parking lot — again". The Seattle Times. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Lang Jones, Jeanne (August 1, 2012). "Vacant lot next to Macy's garage in Seattle sold for $22M". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Stiles, Marc (January 24, 2013). "39-story apartment tower proposed for Second and Pine in downtown Seattle". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- Stiles, Marc (September 30, 2014). "New Pike Place Market neighbor: Luxury 40-story apartment building breaks ground". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- "Skanska starting hotel at Second and Stewart". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. September 2, 2016. Retrieved September 2, 2016.