View of the station
|Elevation||3.2 m (10 ft)|
|Owned by||Bane NOR|
|Distance||31.4 km (19.5 mi)|
Hell Station (Norwegian: Hell stasjon) is a railway station located in the village of Hell in the Municipality of Stjørdal in the Trøndelag county, Norway. It is located at the intersection of the Nordland Line and the Meråker Line.
Hell Station serves:
- the Nordland Line between the cities Trondheim (station) and Bodø (station).
- the Meråker Line between the village Hell and Storlien (station) in Sweden.
- the Trøndelag Commuter Rail system
Due to its name, Hell Station has become a tourist attraction. While associated with the religious concept Hell by English-speakers, the name Hell derives from Old Norse hellir, which means cave. The Norwegian equivalent to English hell is hel or, more commonly, helvete (compare with Old English hellewīte).
The station's freight building still bears the old sign saying Hell Gods-Expedition. In Norwegian, Gods-Expedition (archaic) or godsekspedisjon (modern) means freight service or cargo handling. This sign is a popular photo opportunity for foreign English-speaking tourists. Especially in the summer months, it is not unusual for foreigners, when discovering the sign, to disembark the train in order to get a photo. The building is not used for freight anymore. All light freight is handled through post offices or competing companies.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hell stasjon.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Hell, Norway.|
- "Hell stasjon" (in Norwegian). Norwegian National Rail Administration. Archived from the original on 2011-08-15. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Hell station". Norwegian State Railways. Archived from the original on 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Hell" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Railway Club. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Just, Carl (1949). A/S Norsk Spisevognselskap 1919–1949 (in Norwegian). Oslo: Norsk Spisevognselskap. p. 64. OCLC 40310643.
- "helvete". Wiktionary. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "GoNorway - Hell". Retrieved 2007-04-06.
|Preceding station||Following station|
|Hommelvik||Nordland Line||Trondheim Airport|
|Preceding station||Regional trains||Following station|
|Preceding station||Local trains||Following station|
|Hommelvik||Trøndelag Commuter Rail||Trondheim Airport|