Hellboy Animated are original straight-to-DVD animated films based upon the Hellboy comic books by Mike Mignola. Both films take place before the events of the Hellboy and contains Sword of Storms and Blood and Iron, received the signature of Mike Mignola and Guillermo del Toro. A third film was being planned but was never greenlit.
Both films were re-released as a double feature on April 12, 2019.
Ron Perlman, who played Hellboy in the live-action films, also provides the voice of the character in the animated version. Selma Blair and John Hurt also reprise their roles from the film of Liz Sherman and Professor Trevor Bruttenholm, respectively. The voice of Abe Sapien is Doug Jones, who played Abe in prosthetic work in the live-action movies but did not provide the voice for the first film - Abe's vocals for that film were done by an un-credited David Hyde Pierce - he did, however, voice the character in the second film. Kate Corrigan is voiced by Peri Gilpin.
Music is by Christopher Drake.
Sword of Storms
In Sword of Storms (2006), Hellboy and Kate Corrigan are dispatched to Japan to solve the mystery of a professor possessed by the Japanese demons Thunder and Lightning. The demons wish to get their hands on a powerful haunted sword, which will free them, and allow them to unleash their brothers and destroy the world. While Hellboy is sent into an alternate dimension, facing Yokai on the way, his B.P.R.D. teammates, Abe Sapien and Liz Sherman, try to stop one of the Dragons on the first wave of the coming chaos.
Blood and Iron
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (2007) deals with Professor Trevor Bruttenholm's experience with a vampiress (the blood countess) in 1934 and the present day. Hellboy also faces off against Hecate. The DVD for this also includes a bonus short called Hellboy: Iron Shoes.
- Hellboy Animated:
- The Black Wedding (80 pages, January 2007, ISBN 1-59307-700-9) contains:
- Judgment Bell (80 pages, June 2007, ISBN 1-59307-799-8) contains:
- "The Judgment Bell" (written by Jim Pascoe with art by Rick Lacy)
- Unspecified (written by Tad Stones)
- The Menagerie (80 pages, December 2007, ISBN 1-59307-861-7) contains:
Gentle Giant Ltd, famed for its statues, has been given the license for the Hellboy Animated action figures. A first-look Hellboy figure shrinkwrapped to a copy of the Blood and Iron DVD was released as a Best Buy exclusive.
- "I Need Mignola to Storyboard for Me". Hellboy Animated.
- Trumbore, Dave (April 2, 2019). "'Hellboy Animated' 4K Release Brings Back the Original Cast in a Fantastic Double Feature". Collider. Retrieved April 14, 2019.
- "Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics". www.darkhorse.com.
- "Hellboy Animated Volume 2: Judgment Bell :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics". www.darkhorse.com.
- "Hellboy Animated Volume 3: The Menagerie TPB :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics". www.darkhorse.com.