|• Mayor||Karl-August Piontek|
|• Total||7.47 km2 (2.88 sq mi)|
|Elevation||470 m (1,540 ft)|
|• Density||25/km2 (65/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Hellertshausen is an Ortsgemeinde – a municipality belonging to a Verbandsgemeinde, a kind of collective municipality – in the Birkenfeld district in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It belongs to the Verbandsgemeinde of Rhaunen, whose seat is in the like-named municipality.
Hellertshausen borders in the north on the municipality of Stipshausen, in the east on the municipality of Hottenbach, in the south on the municipality of Asbach and in the west on the municipality of Schauren.
In 1331, Hellertshausen had a documentary mention as Hildertusin.
Hellertshausen’s mayor is Karl-August Piontek.
Coat of arms
The German blazon reads: In geteiltem Schild oben in Grün ein silberner Spaten, begleitet von zwei goldenen Ähren. Unten in Gold ein wachsender blaubewehrter und -gezungter roter Löwe.
The municipality’s arms might in English heraldic language be described thus: Per fess vert a spade sans helve argent above two ears of wheat with stalks in saltire Or, and Or issuant from base a demilion gules armed and langued azure.
The ears of wheat refer to the municipality’s agricultural structure, while the spade recalls the hammermill called “Hammerbirkenfeld”, at which such articles were made. The lion charge below the line of partition is a reference to the village’s former allegiance to the Waldgraves and Rhinegraves, who had the greatest share of holdings in the village alongside the Electorate of Trier and the “Further” County of Sponheim.
Culture and sightseeing
- Unterdorf 1 – scattered estate; stately house, partly slated, 1842, bakehouse marked 1834, stately commercial building, possibly from 1842
- Across from Unterdorf 7 – bakehouse; building with gable roof, mid 19th century
- Former manor house of the family von Stumm, Hammerbirkenfeld – Baroque Quereinhaus (a combination residential and commercial house divided for these two purposes down the middle, perpendicularly to the street), partly timber-frame (plastered), marked 1772
- Former mill, Mombach – timber-frame building on solid pedestal ground floor, trapezoidal gable slated, half-hipped roof, possibly from the 18th century
- Haniels Schlösschen, northwest of the village in the Vierherrenwald (forest) – Late Historicist hunting villa, crossed gable roof, about 1900
- Stable building, Mombach 1 – sandstone door frame, marked 1742
Economy and infrastructure
Hellertshausen has a village community centre.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Max Müller-Heid, (b. 3 August 1891; d. 17 February 1973 in Hellertshausen), German painter.
- "Bevölkerungsstand 2018 - Gemeindeebene". Statistisches Landesamt Rheinland-Pfalz (in German). 2019.
- Kommunalwahl Rheinland-Pfalz 2009, Gemeinderat
- Hellertshausen’s mayor
- Description and explanation of Hellertshausen’s arms
- Directory of Cultural Monuments in Birkenfeld district