Hello, Love, Goodbye
|Hello, Love, Goodbye|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Cathy Garcia-Molina|
|Music by||Jessie Q. Lasaten|
|Edited by||Marya Ignacio|
|Distributed by||Star Cinema|
|Box office||₱838,514,653.70 (Worldwide as of August 23, 2019)|
Hello, Love, Goodbye is a 2019 Philippine romantic drama film directed by Cathy Garcia-Molina and starring Kathryn Bernardo and Alden Richards. The film is produced by Star Cinema. Released in the theaters on July 31, it has grossed over ₱838 million pesos worldwide as of August 23, 2019.
Joy (Bernardo) is a spunky, poor millennial who works as a domestic helper in Hong Kong. While she excels in her job and enjoys the friendship of many other empowered domestic helpers, she plans to leave the city soon.
In her journey to achieving her goals, Joy meets Pinoy bartender Ethan (Richards). Ethan is a sweetheart playboy already building a permanent life in Hong Kong. In a few years, he will officially become a resident in the city. After escaping responsibilities all his life, Ethan now wants to commit to a career and to his family (who also reside in Hong Kong). Joy and Ethan soon develop a friendship. The two become each other’s joy against the grime and grind of Hong Kong.
- Maymay Entrata as Mary Dale Fabregas
- Joross Gamboa as Jhim
- Jameson Blake as Edward Del Rosario
- Kakai Bautista as Sally Daraga
- Lito Pimentel as Mario Del Rosario
- Jeffrey Tam as Carlo
- Lovely Abella as Gina Marikit
- William Lorenzo as Celso Fabregas
- Anthony Jennings as Eric Del Rosario
- Wilbert Ross as Joey Fabregas
- Aliyah Billote as Liezel Fabregas
- Angela Poliquit as Annie
- Jon Go as Wayne Choi
- Poon Po Lun Lilac as Lin (Annie’s mother)
Hello, Love, Goodbye premiered in the Philippines on July 31, 2019 in 465 cinemas, a record. The international screenings started on August 1, 2019. The film also made history in Saudi Arabia as the first Filipino film ever to be screened in the cinemas of Jeddah.
On August 1, 2019, during the opening week of the film, Richards and Garcia-Molina said they are open for a sequel. "Well, I'm not closing my doors. Anything is possible, always," Garcia-Molina said.
The film on its opening day earned a total of ₱34.4 million from over 350 cinemas in the Philippines. Three days after its local release, the film was reported to have earned ₱110.8 million. After four days, the film earned ₱176.6 million and was shown in 465 cinemas nationwide. As of August 12, 2019, 1 PM the film has grossed ₱505.7 million domestically in 13 days of showing. After 17 days in cinemas, the film has grossed ₱603 million domestically.
The film earned $2,132,000 in box office receipts abroad on its first week of release. The film was also recognized now the highest-grossing Filipino film in the Middle East for earning over $1 million as of August 18.
Filipino film critic Philbert Dy gave the film a rating of 4 out of 5 and praised Bernardo's performance. Oggs Cruz, writing for Rappler, reviewed the film thus, "Hello, Love, Goodbye' is fine entertainment – one that doesn’t dumb down the issues it puts forward for the sake of a standard happy ending." He pointed out that while the romantic plot was formulaic and characters seemed to have become stereotypical, the film's strengths were its depiction of Hong Kong through the female protagonist's perspective and of the struggles of overseas Filipino workers as domestic helpers. In his review, Armando B. Chavez of Philippine Daily Inquirer said that the love story stood out due to the "backdrop of the plight of OFWs in Hong Kong." He also praised the musical editing, the close-up shots of the protagonists, and performances of Bernardo and Richards, describing them as tour de force. He wrote, "This is a date movie if ever there’s one. As they say back home, “just feel the feeling.” Sit back, secretly dab the tears away… resistance is futile."
Ricky Lo of The Philippine Star gave a generally positive review of the film particularly the comic relief provided by Abella, Bautista, and Entrata. Tito Genova Valiente however disagreed and considered the trio's performances as "aggravating" while praising Bernardo and Richard, stating, "There is Bernardo with perhaps the quietest performance for any actress of her generation. Bernardo can act within a small frame, holding her face solidly as if a slight movement will mar that portrayal... Alden gets the cinematographic love, as well. His Ethan starts fun and ends tragic but with lots of hope, even if it does not matter what happens to that hope. When those tears fall from Richards’s eyes, they bring us back to those old, old cinemas of leading men looking beautiful and strong in grief.
- "Kathryn Bernardo, Alden Richards topbill Star Cinema's upcoming movie 'Hello, Love, Goodbye'".
- News, ABS-CBN. "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' racks up P600 million". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- "The International Posters For Kathryn Bernardo + Alden Richards' Film 'Hello, Love, Goodbye' Will Make You Kilig".
- News, ABS-CBN. "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' is first PH film to be shown in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2019-08-14.
- News, Reyma Buan-Deveza, ABS-CBN. "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' sequel? Alden, Direk Cathy open to doing a follow-up film". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- ABS-CBN, News (1 August 2019). "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' earns P34 million on opening day".
- ABS-CBN, News (1 August 2019). "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' collects P110 million in 3 days".
- ABS-CBN, News (5 August 2019). "'Hello, Love, Goobye' earns P250M in less than a week".
- Maglaqui, Rhovin. "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' hits ₱500M in local box office! | Star Cinema". starcinema.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2019-08-20.
- ABS-CBN, News (17 August 2019). "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' racks up P600 million".
- News, ABS-CBN. "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' racks up $2.1 million abroad on it's first week". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2019-08-20.
- Corporation, ABS-CBN. ""Hello, Love, Goodbye" marks box-office record in the Middle East | ABS-CBN Corporate". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' Review by Philbert Dy".
- Cruz, Oggs. "'Hello, Love, Goodbye' review: Love in a huff". Rappler. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- Chavez, Armando B. (2019-08-09). "Movie Review: 'Hello, Love Goodbye' rises from the ordinary". INQUIRER.net USA. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- Lo, Ricky (August 15, 2019). "The 'hows' of Kathryn & Alden". philstar.com. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- Valiente, Tito Genova (2019-08-08). "In silences, 'Hello, Love, Goodbye' soars - Tito Genova Valiente". BusinessMirror. Retrieved 2019-08-18.